This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Engineers who did not enjoy school - are they rare?

This might come across as a very strange question but is it uncommon to find engineers who did not enjoy school or think highly of the schools that they attended? I have encountered numerous computing and IT types over the years who did not enjoy school or had bad experiences at school but very few electrical or mechanical engineers.
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I have a theory that lots of highly intelligent kids don't enjoy school because it's too slow and restrictive, and frustrates them. The environment doesn't work for everyone and I don't know that all schools recognise this. 

From a personal perspective, I was quite good academically but got super bored by the time sixth form came around. I only really made something of my life after a bit of time out and then excelling in college and university when I was a bit more mature...

Alex is right in that school is as much as about social skills and an aptitude for study.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I have a theory that lots of highly intelligent kids don't enjoy school because it's too slow and restrictive, and frustrates them. The environment doesn't work for everyone and I don't know that all schools recognise this. 

From a personal perspective, I was quite good academically but got super bored by the time sixth form came around. I only really made something of my life after a bit of time out and then excelling in college and university when I was a bit more mature...

Alex is right in that school is as much as about social skills and an aptitude for study.
Children
No Data