This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Engineers who did not enjoy school - are they rare?

This might come across as a very strange question but is it uncommon to find engineers who did not enjoy school or think highly of the schools that they attended? I have encountered numerous computing and IT types over the years who did not enjoy school or had bad experiences at school but very few electrical or mechanical engineers.
Parents
  • David, I think it is more complicated. It is not only dependent on the individual, but also the school, teachers, etc. as Alex points out. My wife is very intelligent (probably much more than me, though our aptitudes are different), but was at a comprehensive school where the teachers were not particularly brilliant and the pupils in general didn't want to learn, making it hard for my wife who did, so she didn't enjoy the experience.

I, on the other hand, was educated for the most part in Scotland where education has always been valued and as I also made it into the local grammar school where I was surrounded by others who were highly intelligent with good teachers (though with a few exceptions), so I look back on my school days as a time I enjoyed.

I think that if there is a gifted teacher who can enthuse the pupils, they will always enjoy the experience regardless of the school (in film, think of Robin Williams in 'Dead Poet's Society' or Richard Griffiths in 'The History Boys').

Alasdair
  • David, I think it is more complicated. It is not only dependent on the individual, but also the school, teachers, etc. as Alex points out. My wife is very intelligent (probably much more than me, though our aptitudes are different), but was at a comprehensive school where the teachers were not particularly brilliant and the pupils in general didn't want to learn, making it hard for my wife who did, so she didn't enjoy the experience.

I, on the other hand, was educated for the most part in Scotland where education has always been valued and as I also made it into the local grammar school where I was surrounded by others who were highly intelligent with good teachers (though with a few exceptions), so I look back on my school days as a time I enjoyed.

I think that if there is a gifted teacher who can enthuse the pupils, they will always enjoy the experience regardless of the school (in film, think of Robin Williams in 'Dead Poet's Society' or Richard Griffiths in 'The History Boys').

Alasdair
Children
No Data