This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Time for licenced Engineers?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
As a result of a discussion within a Linkedin group. I had originally raised the issue of the EC UK or IET legally licencing Engineers and had agreed to bring this discussion from Linkedin to the IET members in an appropriate community for a frank and open debate.

​The circumstances surrounding this discussion was the tragedy of Grenfell Towers and my personal observation that some of the alleged decision makers, had no technical qualifications to make decisions on public safety. I am wondering how far the inquiry will go to reveal that issue. 

As I currently work in Canada we do have an act of law governing the conduct of its licenced Engineers and this makes the Engineer have some higher degree of responsibility for public safety.

​Questions

1)    Given the impact of Grenfell, does EC(UK) have to now start considering licencing? What are the perceived hurdles to achieve this?

​2)    If not. What can we do within our profession to improve pubic safety with an objective to prevent another 'Grenfell' ?

I am ​Interested to get IET members responses.

Parents

• Gareth Wood:

Yes Roy I am !! Happy new year to you. I have heard that retort before: That the boat has sailed? What does that mean exactly? Especially in this modern world

Was that possibly the  'Gravy boat'  i.e the slower and larger capacity variant to the 'Gravy train'? 

I have always understood it to be a reference to a passenger ship.  Perhaps one taking emigrants to a new country.

All the time the boat is in port, you can discuss all the wonderful things you will be able to do if you reach the promised land.  Once the boat has sailed, any further discussion becomes pointless.  You no longer have any way of getting there.

• Gareth Wood:

Yes Roy I am !! Happy new year to you. I have heard that retort before: That the boat has sailed? What does that mean exactly? Especially in this modern world

Was that possibly the  'Gravy boat'  i.e the slower and larger capacity variant to the 'Gravy train'? 

I have always understood it to be a reference to a passenger ship.  Perhaps one taking emigrants to a new country.

All the time the boat is in port, you can discuss all the wonderful things you will be able to do if you reach the promised land.  Once the boat has sailed, any further discussion becomes pointless.  You no longer have any way of getting there.

Children
No Data