This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Time for licenced Engineers?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
As a result of a discussion within a Linkedin group. I had originally raised the issue of the EC UK or IET legally licencing Engineers and had agreed to bring this discussion from Linkedin to the IET members in an appropriate community for a frank and open debate.

​The circumstances surrounding this discussion was the tragedy of Grenfell Towers and my personal observation that some of the alleged decision makers, had no technical qualifications to make decisions on public safety. I am wondering how far the inquiry will go to reveal that issue. 

As I currently work in Canada we do have an act of law governing the conduct of its licenced Engineers and this makes the Engineer have some higher degree of responsibility for public safety.

​Questions

1)    Given the impact of Grenfell, does EC(UK) have to now start considering licencing? What are the perceived hurdles to achieve this?

​2)    If not. What can we do within our profession to improve pubic safety with an objective to prevent another 'Grenfell' ?

I am ​Interested to get IET members responses.

Parents
  • Hi Andy,
    Thanks for your equally considered reply.
    Firstly , I agree that we've probably exhausted the subject pretty well by now, but I did feel the wish to say that I agree entirely with your viewpoint on rail, particularly that the biggest threat is from managers, not engineers. Given that Gareth's original post was triggered, as I understand it, by Grenfell Tower, and his perception that there is not similar rigour in that sector, including the suggestion that managers have been making decisions on engineering matters without review and endorsement by an engineer, or by somebody you and I would recognise as an engineer, I'd be interested to hear from people who know that sector better on how valid that perception is.
    Your comments on the automotive industry and the huge safety concerns that need to be addressed with autonomous cars were really interesting though -definite food for thought. Like you I'd be interested to hear from those in the automotive sector on this.
    I did operate for some years in the wider transportation arena, and though that was mostly focused on transportation infrastructure - highways, intelligent transport, active traffic management, etc., I did veer slightly into automotive, and in particular intelligent vehicle systems and the early concepts for autonomous vehicles, not to work directly in the sector, but to hold talks with those in the sector and to participate in joint innovation workshops, mainly because the two are inextricably linked, and I wished both a look-ahead into what was coming and to try to influence it somewhat in an attempt to achieve a holistic 'road map' (forgive the unintentional pun) for how vehicle and infrastructure should work together.
    I'd by no means make any claim to have even a fraction of the knowledge of the sector that a true automotive engineer would hold, but I have to admit, my experience does make me tend to agree with your view on the driving (these puns really are difficult to avoid!) motivation of most automotive companies and the potential for risk they could present if they run unchecked. Hopefully, for our peace of mind, we will hear from people from the sector who will confirm there are suitable systems in place to address those concerns.
  • Hi Andy,
    Thanks for your equally considered reply.
    Firstly , I agree that we've probably exhausted the subject pretty well by now, but I did feel the wish to say that I agree entirely with your viewpoint on rail, particularly that the biggest threat is from managers, not engineers. Given that Gareth's original post was triggered, as I understand it, by Grenfell Tower, and his perception that there is not similar rigour in that sector, including the suggestion that managers have been making decisions on engineering matters without review and endorsement by an engineer, or by somebody you and I would recognise as an engineer, I'd be interested to hear from people who know that sector better on how valid that perception is.
    Your comments on the automotive industry and the huge safety concerns that need to be addressed with autonomous cars were really interesting though -definite food for thought. Like you I'd be interested to hear from those in the automotive sector on this.
    I did operate for some years in the wider transportation arena, and though that was mostly focused on transportation infrastructure - highways, intelligent transport, active traffic management, etc., I did veer slightly into automotive, and in particular intelligent vehicle systems and the early concepts for autonomous vehicles, not to work directly in the sector, but to hold talks with those in the sector and to participate in joint innovation workshops, mainly because the two are inextricably linked, and I wished both a look-ahead into what was coming and to try to influence it somewhat in an attempt to achieve a holistic 'road map' (forgive the unintentional pun) for how vehicle and infrastructure should work together.
    I'd by no means make any claim to have even a fraction of the knowledge of the sector that a true automotive engineer would hold, but I have to admit, my experience does make me tend to agree with your view on the driving (these puns really are difficult to avoid!) motivation of most automotive companies and the potential for risk they could present if they run unchecked. Hopefully, for our peace of mind, we will hear from people from the sector who will confirm there are suitable systems in place to address those concerns.
Children
No Data