This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

STEM Education - should it focus on technology itself, or on using technology to solve problems?

Just been listening to Eben Upton discussing how he came up with Raspberry Pi (good programme, worth a listen):

www.bbc.co.uk/.../b09ly60f

Took me back to my university years ('79-'82) when many of my cohort were playing with Sinclair micros etc, and I was thinking about why it never appealed to me. I think it's because while I do, obviously, find the development of new technology fascinating, what interests me is its ability to solve problems - whereas many of my colleagues were interested in the pure challenge of getting these piles of vaguely connected circuit boards to just work!

Now, I believe it's a Good Thing that there are young people who are fascinated with technology for its own sake, this is how the Microsofts and Apples of this world developed. But I do wonder if we focus enough in STEM education on the ability of technology to solve problems, and develop an interest in its possibilities from that direction? Two reasons:
  1. I suggest it will attract more people into the fold, and increase the general understanding of the value (actual and potential) of technology,

• A good development and implementation team needs a wide range of skills (c.f. Belbin team roles), I suggest this approach would help us flesh out these teams with people who are able to form the link between the potential of technology and the needs of society (or the customer depending on your focus smiley).

(Also, it is often suggested that there is a sex bias here: boys tending to be more interested in just building things (and blowing them up!), girls tending to be more interested in why they're doing it. Personally I think this is, if anything, a gender issue rather than a sex issue and hence is terribly complicated - possibly best just to accept that different approaches appeal to different people?)

What are people's experience here? Do you think we explain enough what technology is for, and inspire young people to use it solve problems? Or - if we do we get too carried away with bells and whistles - is that maybe the right approach at a young age? Any good stories?

I'm very happy to admit that my big inspiration (in hindsight) was watching Thunderbirds as a very young child! I still have a little Thunderbird 2 on my desk to inspire me. Oh, and don't worry, I will still (much to the amusement of my family) sit with a huge smile on my face looking at a very elegent piece of engineering for its own sake. But it's got to be really elegent!

Cheers,

Andy

Parents
  • SImilarly the other day when I mended the amplifier I use in the kitchen to drive some speakers on the TV there - it only worked if you hit it, so I took it apart, found the cracked PCB track (having downloaded a circuit diagram and traced the signal), and soldered a link across it. I was thinking at the time that my degree in electronics, 18 month traineeship with the BBC, and subsequent 9 years developing very high end recording studio equipment all paid off in stopping my wife getting frustrated at keeping having to hit this thing!

One of the favourite school projects I've ever developed was one where we got a roomful of school teams, gave them a circuit I'd developed and a pile of "stuff", and asked them to - in a day- develop a system that would allow disabled children to play music. The circuit board converted switch or voltage intputs into MIDI (electronic keyboard control) data, and the pile of stuff included different types of switches, pressure sensors, slide and rotary pots, proximity detectors etc. The teachers were hugely impressed about how all the kids there (year 10/11 from memory) absolutely threw themselves into it and came up with some fantastic ideas. What helped hugely was that I got some speakers from a local charity to talk to the students beforehand about what sort of disabilites they had to cope with, and how it freed the people they worked with to be able to play music with others. If only we'd had time to take it to the next stage and find a way that the students could somehow have seen their ideas put into practice...

Cheers,

Andy
  • SImilarly the other day when I mended the amplifier I use in the kitchen to drive some speakers on the TV there - it only worked if you hit it, so I took it apart, found the cracked PCB track (having downloaded a circuit diagram and traced the signal), and soldered a link across it. I was thinking at the time that my degree in electronics, 18 month traineeship with the BBC, and subsequent 9 years developing very high end recording studio equipment all paid off in stopping my wife getting frustrated at keeping having to hit this thing!

One of the favourite school projects I've ever developed was one where we got a roomful of school teams, gave them a circuit I'd developed and a pile of "stuff", and asked them to - in a day- develop a system that would allow disabled children to play music. The circuit board converted switch or voltage intputs into MIDI (electronic keyboard control) data, and the pile of stuff included different types of switches, pressure sensors, slide and rotary pots, proximity detectors etc. The teachers were hugely impressed about how all the kids there (year 10/11 from memory) absolutely threw themselves into it and came up with some fantastic ideas. What helped hugely was that I got some speakers from a local charity to talk to the students beforehand about what sort of disabilites they had to cope with, and how it freed the people they worked with to be able to play music with others. If only we'd had time to take it to the next stage and find a way that the students could somehow have seen their ideas put into practice...

Cheers,

Andy
Children
No Data