This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

STEM Education - should it focus on technology itself, or on using technology to solve problems?

Just been listening to Eben Upton discussing how he came up with Raspberry Pi (good programme, worth a listen):

www.bbc.co.uk/.../b09ly60f

Took me back to my university years ('79-'82) when many of my cohort were playing with Sinclair micros etc, and I was thinking about why it never appealed to me. I think it's because while I do, obviously, find the development of new technology fascinating, what interests me is its ability to solve problems - whereas many of my colleagues were interested in the pure challenge of getting these piles of vaguely connected circuit boards to just work!

Now, I believe it's a Good Thing that there are young people who are fascinated with technology for its own sake, this is how the Microsofts and Apples of this world developed. But I do wonder if we focus enough in STEM education on the ability of technology to solve problems, and develop an interest in its possibilities from that direction? Two reasons:
  1. I suggest it will attract more people into the fold, and increase the general understanding of the value (actual and potential) of technology,

• A good development and implementation team needs a wide range of skills (c.f. Belbin team roles), I suggest this approach would help us flesh out these teams with people who are able to form the link between the potential of technology and the needs of society (or the customer depending on your focus smiley).

(Also, it is often suggested that there is a sex bias here: boys tending to be more interested in just building things (and blowing them up!), girls tending to be more interested in why they're doing it. Personally I think this is, if anything, a gender issue rather than a sex issue and hence is terribly complicated - possibly best just to accept that different approaches appeal to different people?)

What are people's experience here? Do you think we explain enough what technology is for, and inspire young people to use it solve problems? Or - if we do we get too carried away with bells and whistles - is that maybe the right approach at a young age? Any good stories?

I'm very happy to admit that my big inspiration (in hindsight) was watching Thunderbirds as a very young child! I still have a little Thunderbird 2 on my desk to inspire me. Oh, and don't worry, I will still (much to the amusement of my family) sit with a huge smile on my face looking at a very elegent piece of engineering for its own sake. But it's got to be really elegent!

Cheers,

Andy

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    This is an incredibly interesting conversation. Thanks for creating it Andy. Like you I was also a Sinclair child ( the next generation will be the micro:bit kids I suppose  and we will probaly have our first 16 year old billionaire in the next two years! ).

​Personally I think we perhaps concentrate too much on the technology and its understanding, as its our natural disposition to do so:  While we may understand it, we still do not effectively communicate its importance to the public and so it becomes undervalued and totally misinterpreted by media. So I think the soft skills are one area STEM also needs to cover.

I think STEM is so encompassing and yet it is so very limiting in that we are not addressing or acknowledging that there are many avenues within engineering that allow very different creative thinking processes, from marketing, design, business practice etc. So while I embrace the purpose of STEM activities wholeheartedly,  we should learn the techniques of better identifying the problems to solve, communicating how we intend to solve them and then apply STEM and other practices to develop business opportunities.  

I am going to be very controversial here  and I expect some kickback and please note this in no way decries the amazing efforts of teachers, lecturers and professors. I think STEM is potentially a 1990's approach to a very different world of science and engineering. It's purpose was to enthuse the young to fill companies with valuable trained scientists and engineers and while it no doubt achieved its aims somewhat, I regularly see great dissapoinment from younger engineers who get tasked with lacklustre or mediocre projects and yet have the capability to do so much more for society; their very creative essence being snuffed out in the first beginnings. We really should be concentrating on creating a new 21st Century breed of 'Entrepreneur-Engineer' that is not reliant on big business and STEM should be the catalyst that ignites that passion, identifies those talents and brings them together to become a much more valuable asset for the country.   

BTW, loved Thunderbirds and I know that even some of my colleague engineers who had worked at British Aerospace had had heated debates of the forward swept wing concept of Thunderbird 2; thereby indicating the impact Gerry Anderson had on a whole generation!  But I was really a Joe 90 fan, BIGRAT and what was the pre-cursor to Google glass, and which eerily appeared at about the same time period the series was supposed to portray ( ok more controversy... I know).
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    This is an incredibly interesting conversation. Thanks for creating it Andy. Like you I was also a Sinclair child ( the next generation will be the micro:bit kids I suppose  and we will probaly have our first 16 year old billionaire in the next two years! ).

​Personally I think we perhaps concentrate too much on the technology and its understanding, as its our natural disposition to do so:  While we may understand it, we still do not effectively communicate its importance to the public and so it becomes undervalued and totally misinterpreted by media. So I think the soft skills are one area STEM also needs to cover.

I think STEM is so encompassing and yet it is so very limiting in that we are not addressing or acknowledging that there are many avenues within engineering that allow very different creative thinking processes, from marketing, design, business practice etc. So while I embrace the purpose of STEM activities wholeheartedly,  we should learn the techniques of better identifying the problems to solve, communicating how we intend to solve them and then apply STEM and other practices to develop business opportunities.  

I am going to be very controversial here  and I expect some kickback and please note this in no way decries the amazing efforts of teachers, lecturers and professors. I think STEM is potentially a 1990's approach to a very different world of science and engineering. It's purpose was to enthuse the young to fill companies with valuable trained scientists and engineers and while it no doubt achieved its aims somewhat, I regularly see great dissapoinment from younger engineers who get tasked with lacklustre or mediocre projects and yet have the capability to do so much more for society; their very creative essence being snuffed out in the first beginnings. We really should be concentrating on creating a new 21st Century breed of 'Entrepreneur-Engineer' that is not reliant on big business and STEM should be the catalyst that ignites that passion, identifies those talents and brings them together to become a much more valuable asset for the country.   

BTW, loved Thunderbirds and I know that even some of my colleague engineers who had worked at British Aerospace had had heated debates of the forward swept wing concept of Thunderbird 2; thereby indicating the impact Gerry Anderson had on a whole generation!  But I was really a Joe 90 fan, BIGRAT and what was the pre-cursor to Google glass, and which eerily appeared at about the same time period the series was supposed to portray ( ok more controversy... I know).
Children
No Data