This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Brits place blame on emojis for ruining English language

An article on the E&T Magazine website states that a study has found that most British adults believe the English language is in decline, with many believing that emojis should take some of the blame.

Personally, I think the English language constantly 'evolves' over time....

I remember the furore when texting became the norm and many people started using 'text speak' in their everyday communitication. However, over the past few years, with autocorrect and predictive text becoming much more sophisticated, it's actually much harder and more time consuming to type 'text speak' into your phone nowadays.

There will always be those that aren't able to spell as well as others, and emojis will always have an appropriate place in communication, but I don't think we need to worry too much about the decline of the English language...

Or do we? wink
Parents
  • Andy,

Well said. I absolutely agree what we want is unambiguous language, and whether it is deemed 'correct' by the grammar police is a secondary issue. I also have a wife who looks for the correct English (and once when at school to pick up our daughter, got her pen out and put corrections to the grammar on a notice on the board from one of the teachers!), so I feel for you.

The problem with more and more people writing, which you mention, is not the fact that they are doing so but rather the lack of checking. The one job that has declined as the amount of writing has gone up is that of proofreader, once considered essential but now replaced by a computer spellchecker, which unfortunately is not the same thing. A computer would certainly not have stopped the one that I did - a reference to doping material with arsenic where the word 'arsenic' had been split over two lines, and you can guess where the computer put the split!

I think the opportunities for people to self publish now is both a benefit and a drawback, a benefit in that anyone can now get their opinions out for the whole world to read (as we are doing in this forum) but also a drawback in that with so much material published, it is more and more difficult to find the worthwhile publications. As a result those that are not so well written are less likely to reach their target audience.

Regards,

Alasdair
  • Andy,

Well said. I absolutely agree what we want is unambiguous language, and whether it is deemed 'correct' by the grammar police is a secondary issue. I also have a wife who looks for the correct English (and once when at school to pick up our daughter, got her pen out and put corrections to the grammar on a notice on the board from one of the teachers!), so I feel for you.

The problem with more and more people writing, which you mention, is not the fact that they are doing so but rather the lack of checking. The one job that has declined as the amount of writing has gone up is that of proofreader, once considered essential but now replaced by a computer spellchecker, which unfortunately is not the same thing. A computer would certainly not have stopped the one that I did - a reference to doping material with arsenic where the word 'arsenic' had been split over two lines, and you can guess where the computer put the split!

I think the opportunities for people to self publish now is both a benefit and a drawback, a benefit in that anyone can now get their opinions out for the whole world to read (as we are doing in this forum) but also a drawback in that with so much material published, it is more and more difficult to find the worthwhile publications. As a result those that are not so well written are less likely to reach their target audience.

Regards,

Alasdair
Children
No Data