This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Brits place blame on emojis for ruining English language

An article on the E&T Magazine website states that a study has found that most British adults believe the English language is in decline, with many believing that emojis should take some of the blame.

Personally, I think the English language constantly 'evolves' over time....

I remember the furore when texting became the norm and many people started using 'text speak' in their everyday communitication. However, over the past few years, with autocorrect and predictive text becoming much more sophisticated, it's actually much harder and more time consuming to type 'text speak' into your phone nowadays.

There will always be those that aren't able to spell as well as others, and emojis will always have an appropriate place in communication, but I don't think we need to worry too much about the decline of the English language...

Or do we? wink
Parents
  • In one of my previous jobs I wrote and produced the School newsletter and annual magazine which was then checked by the English department and returned to me with many red circles.  Once produced, the staff room copy was then eagerly checked by other teachers and came out with many more red marks.  This was all before emojis, so I don't see these frown as being a major issue in language and something else will be along to replace them.

• In one of my previous jobs I wrote and produced the School newsletter and annual magazine which was then checked by the English department and returned to me with many red circles.  Once produced, the staff room copy was then eagerly checked by other teachers and came out with many more red marks.  This was all before emojis, so I don't see these frown as being a major issue in language and something else will be along to replace them.

Children
No Data