This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

C&G Professional Recognition Awards

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Afternoon all,

I've come across, and not found much infomation on the net regarding C&Gs PRAs like LCGI, AfCGI, GCGI and MCGI.

Maybe someone could clear this up for me, but my interpritation of what these are or are supposed to be, is something for people with experience in engineering but without the formal achademic qualifications - awarding a particular award based upon experience which some how corresponds to the type of qualification someone in their job would typically have? So for example, having a GCGI is like having a bachelors degree?

Are such qualifications actually worth having? Are they recognised by industry, or is it more a "buy a title" type situation?

If someone could explain what exactly these really are (and not just marketed as), and what their really worth etc. Sadly C&Gs give very limited info on their site (as per usual).

Lee.
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thanks for your input gents,

At present i have a HND, but i have around ten years experience in running a calibration lab and now working in electrical design - i obviously know more now than i did when i first obtained my HND. Does this mean in theory i could apply for GCGI (NVQ level 6) as its only one step above my current HND (NVQ level 5)?

And if this is the case, how and where do you apply for it? Is it like applying for IEng where you send in a personal assesment document and then do an interview? What exactly is the process?

I understand some people have had issues trying to get their GCGI accepted by employers as an equivalent to a BEng and having their IEng recognised by employers - but here in Gibraltar these types of things are generally valued, i've had employers in interviews complain i hadn't obtained them despeite in theory having the relevent experience to have done os in the past.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated!

Lee
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thanks for your input gents,

At present i have a HND, but i have around ten years experience in running a calibration lab and now working in electrical design - i obviously know more now than i did when i first obtained my HND. Does this mean in theory i could apply for GCGI (NVQ level 6) as its only one step above my current HND (NVQ level 5)?

And if this is the case, how and where do you apply for it? Is it like applying for IEng where you send in a personal assesment document and then do an interview? What exactly is the process?

I understand some people have had issues trying to get their GCGI accepted by employers as an equivalent to a BEng and having their IEng recognised by employers - but here in Gibraltar these types of things are generally valued, i've had employers in interviews complain i hadn't obtained them despeite in theory having the relevent experience to have done os in the past.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated!

Lee
Children
No Data