This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How many GCSEs?

At a meeting of parents it was mentioned that back when they were at secondary school it was common to take only 8 or 9 subjects for GCSE whereas in more recent years students often take 12 or 13 GCSEs.

How many GCSEs do you think is sufficient and appropriate for a career in engineering and how many is overkill?
Parents

• Arran Cameron:

Is anybody able to comment about the following GCSEs:

<snip>

3. Computer science. This new STEM subject has replaced ICT. Does the engineering community value it and give credit to students who have a computer science GCSE?

<snip>

I've read the curriculum description for this plus the exam board materials.  I find this GCSE to have potentially valuable content, especially compared with the old ICT qualification.

The only issue it seems is for schools to find teachers that can teach it.  The better schools I've come across have recruited Computer Science graduates.

• Arran Cameron:

Is anybody able to comment about the following GCSEs:

<snip>

3. Computer science. This new STEM subject has replaced ICT. Does the engineering community value it and give credit to students who have a computer science GCSE?

<snip>

I've read the curriculum description for this plus the exam board materials.  I find this GCSE to have potentially valuable content, especially compared with the old ICT qualification.

The only issue it seems is for schools to find teachers that can teach it.  The better schools I've come across have recruited Computer Science graduates.

Children
No Data