This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How many GCSEs?

At a meeting of parents it was mentioned that back when they were at secondary school it was common to take only 8 or 9 subjects for GCSE whereas in more recent years students often take 12 or 13 GCSEs.

How many GCSEs do you think is sufficient and appropriate for a career in engineering and how many is overkill?
Parents
  • I can see merit in teaching ICT (not computer science) in primary schools but I find it questionable that ICT should be a taught and examined subject in secondary schools leading to a GCSE qualification. ICT is a subject that most kids nowadays can easily learn about in their own time or from their friends and what they learn will probably be more relevant and up to date than that from a GCSE course.

It's interesting to note that several independent schools have shunned GCSE ICT on the basis that it's a soft subject, not valued by higher education or employers, or simply just not worthwhile teaching, but these same schools have been quick to jump onto the GCSE computer science bandwagon.
  • I can see merit in teaching ICT (not computer science) in primary schools but I find it questionable that ICT should be a taught and examined subject in secondary schools leading to a GCSE qualification. ICT is a subject that most kids nowadays can easily learn about in their own time or from their friends and what they learn will probably be more relevant and up to date than that from a GCSE course.

It's interesting to note that several independent schools have shunned GCSE ICT on the basis that it's a soft subject, not valued by higher education or employers, or simply just not worthwhile teaching, but these same schools have been quick to jump onto the GCSE computer science bandwagon.
Children
No Data