This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How many GCSEs?

At a meeting of parents it was mentioned that back when they were at secondary school it was common to take only 8 or 9 subjects for GCSE whereas in more recent years students often take 12 or 13 GCSEs.

How many GCSEs do you think is sufficient and appropriate for a career in engineering and how many is overkill?
Parents

• Andy Millar:

I believe very very strongly that schools should be broadening your knowledge, not narrowing it for some adults' idea of a possible 9-5 job for you - when your idea or the job itself might change completely after a few years anyway!

Take into account that large numbers of people strongly believe that institutionalised education after secondary school, or in some cases primary school, is first and foremost for accessing a professional career, and that such people struggle to comprehend the concept of a liberal education. This situation is most acute amongst south Asians but is not entirely confined to these ethnic groups. When I was at college a high proportion of south Asian students were studying A Levels in mathematics and chemistry for careers in medicine, pharmacy, accountancy etc. with only a small fraction taking arts, humanities, and soft subjects. Even those taking history were looking at careers in law. Very few south Asians went on to study arts and humanities at university.

It has a knock on affect at GCSE level as well. Certain students shun soft subjects or subjects that are deemed to have little relevance to a particular professional career whilst focusing efforts onto subjects that they deem to be important. 

• Andy Millar:

I believe very very strongly that schools should be broadening your knowledge, not narrowing it for some adults' idea of a possible 9-5 job for you - when your idea or the job itself might change completely after a few years anyway!

Take into account that large numbers of people strongly believe that institutionalised education after secondary school, or in some cases primary school, is first and foremost for accessing a professional career, and that such people struggle to comprehend the concept of a liberal education. This situation is most acute amongst south Asians but is not entirely confined to these ethnic groups. When I was at college a high proportion of south Asian students were studying A Levels in mathematics and chemistry for careers in medicine, pharmacy, accountancy etc. with only a small fraction taking arts, humanities, and soft subjects. Even those taking history were looking at careers in law. Very few south Asians went on to study arts and humanities at university.

It has a knock on affect at GCSE level as well. Certain students shun soft subjects or subjects that are deemed to have little relevance to a particular professional career whilst focusing efforts onto subjects that they deem to be important. 

Children
No Data