This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Formulas to calculate the required power output of a radiator for a room of a specific size. Do they exist?

Are there any recognised formulas to calculate the required power output of a radiator for a room of a specific size that also takes into account variables such as extra height, large areas of glass, insulation of walls etc? Good quality formulas devised by people who know about thermodynamics as opposed to plumber's rules of thumb passed down from the 1950s.

Numerous online radiator power outlet calculators exist but the formula behind them is not disclosed and the results for the same input variables vary from website to website.
Parents

• Roy Bowdler:

As I said in an earlier comment, unless something like this is scaled up hugely, there just isn’t a financial or other justification for significant input from a professional (IEng/CEng type) engineer. There is another thread about consumer units. In my situation, I realised that I needed an accredited Gas Safe Plumber and Part P Electrician. I found that despite an enthusiasm to get involved, it was more sensible to just let them get on with it, once trust was established.

Are other countries ahead of the game than Britain is - unless you find a highly knowledgeable person in the HVAC trade? Other countries where central heating system components are specified to an accuracy of less than 10% using formulas taking into account the fabric of buildings that are underpinned by thermodynamics whereas Britain bodges its way to an accuracy of 50% using plumber's rules of thumb passed down from the 1950s. Every man on the street knows about how fridges sold in Germany were more energy efficient than similar models sold in Britain.

The impression I get of the IET is that it prefers to stay in its comfort zones and shies away from many engineering subjects. There was a discussion some time ago about the semiconductor industry. I would eat my hat if the IET got involved in anything to do with Power Wheels type electric vehicles for young children although there are engineers who design and develop such machines. 

• Roy Bowdler:

As I said in an earlier comment, unless something like this is scaled up hugely, there just isn’t a financial or other justification for significant input from a professional (IEng/CEng type) engineer. There is another thread about consumer units. In my situation, I realised that I needed an accredited Gas Safe Plumber and Part P Electrician. I found that despite an enthusiasm to get involved, it was more sensible to just let them get on with it, once trust was established.

Are other countries ahead of the game than Britain is - unless you find a highly knowledgeable person in the HVAC trade? Other countries where central heating system components are specified to an accuracy of less than 10% using formulas taking into account the fabric of buildings that are underpinned by thermodynamics whereas Britain bodges its way to an accuracy of 50% using plumber's rules of thumb passed down from the 1950s. Every man on the street knows about how fridges sold in Germany were more energy efficient than similar models sold in Britain.

The impression I get of the IET is that it prefers to stay in its comfort zones and shies away from many engineering subjects. There was a discussion some time ago about the semiconductor industry. I would eat my hat if the IET got involved in anything to do with Power Wheels type electric vehicles for young children although there are engineers who design and develop such machines. 

Children
No Data