This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Should the IET seek its members to pledge not to help build killer robots?

I read an interesting article in the online E&T (above) that reports of a pledge to not assist in the development of so-called Killer Robots. Should the IET take a stance, be the first PEI to endorse the pledge and furthermore expect/encourage its members to sign up too?
Parents
  • Mark,

On the removal of the user and human conscience, I can't say I agree with you, but I don't completely disagree. There always has to be a human operator who makes the decision to activate the 'killer robot' whether it be an autonomous drone or one of the target seeking torpedoes that Joseph has just described. This person then becomes the 'user' and it is his conscience that is in place. Where I don't completely disagree is that the 'user' is removed from the location of operation and it is more difficult to make ethical decisions when isolated from the situation.

Alasdair
  • Mark,

On the removal of the user and human conscience, I can't say I agree with you, but I don't completely disagree. There always has to be a human operator who makes the decision to activate the 'killer robot' whether it be an autonomous drone or one of the target seeking torpedoes that Joseph has just described. This person then becomes the 'user' and it is his conscience that is in place. Where I don't completely disagree is that the 'user' is removed from the location of operation and it is more difficult to make ethical decisions when isolated from the situation.

Alasdair
Children
No Data