This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Should the IET seek its members to pledge not to help build killer robots?

I read an interesting article in the online E&T (above) that reports of a pledge to not assist in the development of so-called Killer Robots. Should the IET take a stance, be the first PEI to endorse the pledge and furthermore expect/encourage its members to sign up too?
Parents
  • Agree Alasdair, as that is where my opinion sits - someone somewhere signs off and determines the strategy and policies for the device - a human makes the decision to arm, decide and code the target identification and acquisition, code the action or inaction and dependencies, decides on impact level, and ultimately releases the device to execute its mission. It is therefore limited autonomy for the device. What surely must be prevented is where any of those decisions or even completely new decisions are made solely by the device's AI, self learning, self determination.
  • Agree Alasdair, as that is where my opinion sits - someone somewhere signs off and determines the strategy and policies for the device - a human makes the decision to arm, decide and code the target identification and acquisition, code the action or inaction and dependencies, decides on impact level, and ultimately releases the device to execute its mission. It is therefore limited autonomy for the device. What surely must be prevented is where any of those decisions or even completely new decisions are made solely by the device's AI, self learning, self determination.
Children
No Data