This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Should the IET seek its members to pledge not to help build killer robots?

I read an interesting article in the online E&T (above) that reports of a pledge to not assist in the development of so-called Killer Robots. Should the IET take a stance, be the first PEI to endorse the pledge and furthermore expect/encourage its members to sign up too?
Parents
  • Mark,

Again I have to differ from you a bit. If we take a hypothetical situation of an autonomous drone set to target a specific car known to contain terrorists (the sort of thing that has been done with remote operation at present). The drone sets off and locates its target which has now parked next to a hospital.....

To my mind, a new decision made solely by the device's AI not to finish the attack would be one I would endorse, not prevent.

However I do share your unease.

Alasdair
  • Mark,

Again I have to differ from you a bit. If we take a hypothetical situation of an autonomous drone set to target a specific car known to contain terrorists (the sort of thing that has been done with remote operation at present). The drone sets off and locates its target which has now parked next to a hospital.....

To my mind, a new decision made solely by the device's AI not to finish the attack would be one I would endorse, not prevent.

However I do share your unease.

Alasdair
Children
No Data