This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Control panels - connecting different sized wires

Hello All,

I usually work with low-current electronics, however we have a sideline in making motor drive systems. It's usually the case that the main phase inputs need to be spurred off (with suitable fusing of course) to power low-current items like fans and 24V PSUs. Usually this can be done with DIN rail terminals, for example the Weidmuller PDU6/10 can take a 10mm. sq. wire. The terminal can then be cross-connected to another, where a 1.5mm wire can attach.  However, what to do when the phase cables get larger and the size difference is greater than a terminal can accomodate?  We could daisy-chain down through a series of terminals but this seems inelegant. Is there a way this is commonly done in control panels?

Thanks,

John.
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Robert,

I will agree with you that calculations are required, but disagree that it is anything to do with BS 7671 with this being a machinery control systems.

110.2, xi excludes machinery control panels which are covered by EN 60204-1, from the scope of BS 7671.

Therefore bring this standard into the discussion is irrelevant.

For anything covered by the Supply of Machinery Safety Regulations, BS 7671 is irrelevant as it is not a harmonised standard.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Robert,

I will agree with you that calculations are required, but disagree that it is anything to do with BS 7671 with this being a machinery control systems.

110.2, xi excludes machinery control panels which are covered by EN 60204-1, from the scope of BS 7671.

Therefore bring this standard into the discussion is irrelevant.

For anything covered by the Supply of Machinery Safety Regulations, BS 7671 is irrelevant as it is not a harmonised standard.
Children
No Data