This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

EUR ING Application via 5.4b Special Cases

Hi All,

I had read through the EUR ING application guide and found on section 5.4b Special Cases as below:

"There are cases where the professional engineering performance required for registration has been developed on the basis of a type of education not covered by 5.3 and 5.4a). This case also applies for applicants whose education took place in the FEANI area (=FEANI member countries) but with programmes that are not listed in the FEANI INDEX. Nevertheless it is possible to consider such alternative routes. Very strict procedures, however, have then to be followed, (see 7.1), and the applicant must have at least 15 years of Professional Engineering Experience recognized by FEANI: 15E"

https://www.feani.org/sites/default/files/Guide_to_the_Register_FINAL_approved_GA_2013.pdf

Based on the above, possible for an IEng with more than 15 years of professional engineering experience to apply for this route? If yes, why EC / IET never promote this route for senior IEng?

Like to hear other opinion regarding this?

Thanks,
Parents
  • Mehmood,

I am not sure what this has to do with the topic, but I will catch your spanner....

1. No I don't think I am better educated, though there is always the old adage "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach!"  I may not be more educated, but I consider myself to be competent. However I don't have any way to assess whether I am more, less or equally competent as those who were my teachers and lecturers as all I saw from them was lectures/teaching.

2. I think this question is invalid. Somebody has to make a decision as to what level of knowledge and experience is appropriate for a CEng/Eur Ing/PE etc. and it is not something I want to do myself. Whether the people making the decision are better educated/cleverer than me is irrelevant as long as the criteria they come up with are sensible to be able to grade the knowledge and experience. However whatever they decide does not dictate what I represent as an engineer, only what CEng represents. Whether I represent that or more than that or less than that is a different matter.

3. No.  Though perhaps I should elaborate. I am not bothered about recognition/approval from my superiors based on a registration title. They can accept me as I am (or not accept me, in which case I may decide to move somewhere else) but it must be on my merits, not the merits of a title. The title is just an indicator to those who do not know me of my abilities. (And I am not going to say anything about whether my superiors are more educated, cleverer, etc. since I don't think that is relevant).

4. My philosophy throughout my working life has been "Am I satisfied within myself that I have done the best that I can?" If the answer is yes then I am not bothered what others think or whether they approve. However when the answer to the question is "yes" then often the approval is there also.

Having answered your questions, I realise that I am perhaps not a typical responder, but no two people are the same so I expect you will get a full range of responses.

Alasdair Anderson, CENG FIET etc.
  • Mehmood,

I am not sure what this has to do with the topic, but I will catch your spanner....

1. No I don't think I am better educated, though there is always the old adage "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach!"  I may not be more educated, but I consider myself to be competent. However I don't have any way to assess whether I am more, less or equally competent as those who were my teachers and lecturers as all I saw from them was lectures/teaching.

2. I think this question is invalid. Somebody has to make a decision as to what level of knowledge and experience is appropriate for a CEng/Eur Ing/PE etc. and it is not something I want to do myself. Whether the people making the decision are better educated/cleverer than me is irrelevant as long as the criteria they come up with are sensible to be able to grade the knowledge and experience. However whatever they decide does not dictate what I represent as an engineer, only what CEng represents. Whether I represent that or more than that or less than that is a different matter.

3. No.  Though perhaps I should elaborate. I am not bothered about recognition/approval from my superiors based on a registration title. They can accept me as I am (or not accept me, in which case I may decide to move somewhere else) but it must be on my merits, not the merits of a title. The title is just an indicator to those who do not know me of my abilities. (And I am not going to say anything about whether my superiors are more educated, cleverer, etc. since I don't think that is relevant).

4. My philosophy throughout my working life has been "Am I satisfied within myself that I have done the best that I can?" If the answer is yes then I am not bothered what others think or whether they approve. However when the answer to the question is "yes" then often the approval is there also.

Having answered your questions, I realise that I am perhaps not a typical responder, but no two people are the same so I expect you will get a full range of responses.

Alasdair Anderson, CENG FIET etc.
Children
No Data