This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Skills Shortages

The construction industry (namely services) is suffering from skills shortages without an apparent solution. There has been a flurry of press activity but not much action. How does the industry make itself more attractive to the younger generation? There are short training courses offered but these are not the solution and there are many mature people entering the industry on the promise of a quick buck. The majority of these (that I have encountered) have little passion for the industry and the quality of work can be quite poor. We don't want to end up in a situation whereby these guys are training the next generation.

I think that the apprentice schemes should be made easier for SME's to take part in. Many are small concerns and cannot commit to the burden. However, some of these owner operators have so much experience to offer and it's a shame to let the knowledge pass by. Perhaps the 'apprentice' could be in charge of his/her own portfolio and it to be made easier for them to jump between companies to gain their experience? The colleges could hold a register of approved organisations so that the system is not abused by people wanting cheap labour....

I have met youngsters that have been able to attend and pass the first year of college but unable to progress further because they cannot find companies interested in taking them on. How can this be so with the skills crisis? I presume the bureaucracy is putting off the SME's.

I would guess that other industries have similar issues?
Parents

• Andy Millar:

I don't know how typical the south west peninsula is of the rest of the UK, but down here a "major engineering employer" (other than the construction industry) is one with over 100 staff. Most engineering companies have far fewer than that.

Once you get past Bristol and Poole it's a backwater. Apart from a few localised examples - such as the dockyards in Plymouth or mining in Cornwall - it is a region that has a very limited engineering heritage.

• Andy Millar:

I don't know how typical the south west peninsula is of the rest of the UK, but down here a "major engineering employer" (other than the construction industry) is one with over 100 staff. Most engineering companies have far fewer than that.

Once you get past Bristol and Poole it's a backwater. Apart from a few localised examples - such as the dockyards in Plymouth or mining in Cornwall - it is a region that has a very limited engineering heritage.

Children
No Data