This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Skills Shortages

The construction industry (namely services) is suffering from skills shortages without an apparent solution. There has been a flurry of press activity but not much action. How does the industry make itself more attractive to the younger generation? There are short training courses offered but these are not the solution and there are many mature people entering the industry on the promise of a quick buck. The majority of these (that I have encountered) have little passion for the industry and the quality of work can be quite poor. We don't want to end up in a situation whereby these guys are training the next generation.

I think that the apprentice schemes should be made easier for SME's to take part in. Many are small concerns and cannot commit to the burden. However, some of these owner operators have so much experience to offer and it's a shame to let the knowledge pass by. Perhaps the 'apprentice' could be in charge of his/her own portfolio and it to be made easier for them to jump between companies to gain their experience? The colleges could hold a register of approved organisations so that the system is not abused by people wanting cheap labour....

I have met youngsters that have been able to attend and pass the first year of college but unable to progress further because they cannot find companies interested in taking them on. How can this be so with the skills crisis? I presume the bureaucracy is putting off the SME's.

I would guess that other industries have similar issues?
Parents
  • Thank you all for your responses

I based the question from my experience within the building services sector - HVAC, M&E etc. There is huge demand and opportunity here but it has always struggled to get past the 'dirty plumber' image and I guess this puts the parents and youngsters off. However, there are many youngsters actively attending colleges off of their own backs who cannot secure important work experience. 

I speak to many employers in my travels and the general consensus is dismissive "because there's too much red tape". Assumption and misguided in many cases no doubt but in any case these SME's are clearly not being targeted as potential employers of apprentices. I understand that there is only so much effort one can go to in order to secure one or two trainees placements but a simpler system would help.

I'll continue to research this area as I am keen to see improvements.and hopefully more youngsters coming through the system with valuable skills.

It's daft when you stop and think about it - on one hand you have an industry crying out for talented people and on the other hand youngsters who can't get their feet through the door.

The fast track training routes are certainly not promoting the image of the industry in a positive way

Maybe I am misguided and there are such systems in place but if so clearly many others are similarly misguided.

Perhaps this is not a debate suitable for the IET but I argue that the advances in technology require competent people to install and maintain them once they are in the market place.

• Thank you all for your responses

I based the question from my experience within the building services sector - HVAC, M&E etc. There is huge demand and opportunity here but it has always struggled to get past the 'dirty plumber' image and I guess this puts the parents and youngsters off. However, there are many youngsters actively attending colleges off of their own backs who cannot secure important work experience. 

I speak to many employers in my travels and the general consensus is dismissive "because there's too much red tape". Assumption and misguided in many cases no doubt but in any case these SME's are clearly not being targeted as potential employers of apprentices. I understand that there is only so much effort one can go to in order to secure one or two trainees placements but a simpler system would help.

I'll continue to research this area as I am keen to see improvements.and hopefully more youngsters coming through the system with valuable skills.

It's daft when you stop and think about it - on one hand you have an industry crying out for talented people and on the other hand youngsters who can't get their feet through the door.

The fast track training routes are certainly not promoting the image of the industry in a positive way

Maybe I am misguided and there are such systems in place but if so clearly many others are similarly misguided.

Perhaps this is not a debate suitable for the IET but I argue that the advances in technology require competent people to install and maintain them once they are in the market place.

Children
No Data