This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Professionally registered engineers report higher earnings

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Professionally registered engineers report higher earnings

"Average salaries are higher among professionally registered engineers in all areas of industry, according to a 2018 Salary Survey produced by The Engineer. The mean average salary among professionally registered respondents was over £8,000 a year higher."

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/professional-registration-engineer-salary/

Salary survey here

Moshe Waserman BEET, MCGI, CEng MBCS, MIET

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Im not sure how relevant my experience will be as its just one anecdotal example, but last year I had applied to a well known engineering firm for a job.

All went well, and the interviewers said they were happy with my interview and we're happy to employ me - albeit with one sticking point regarding salary, I was not IEng or CEng so could not offer my asking salary, only a lower salary (around ten thousand a year less).

Whilst the bosses had some control over salaries within the branch of the company, they were restricted to bands they could offer, which depended upon a variety of things, including Engineering Council membership. They said if I wanted my asking salary, id need to get either IEng or CEng for them to agree to it due to this. They were happy for me to decline the job offer, and come back anytime once I've obtained either (which im towards the end process of).

I know this is just one example, and many people will not have experienced anything like this, but it certainly does happen. And even if it doesn't directly get you a higher salary like my experience had, it certainly would help you either get a job at all when the market is tough, and gives you a little more leeway on trying to negotiate a higher pay. Their may be no direct evidence that EC registration gets you a higher pay, but I personally believe your better off with it than without it when fighting for a higher pay.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Im not sure how relevant my experience will be as its just one anecdotal example, but last year I had applied to a well known engineering firm for a job.

All went well, and the interviewers said they were happy with my interview and we're happy to employ me - albeit with one sticking point regarding salary, I was not IEng or CEng so could not offer my asking salary, only a lower salary (around ten thousand a year less).

Whilst the bosses had some control over salaries within the branch of the company, they were restricted to bands they could offer, which depended upon a variety of things, including Engineering Council membership. They said if I wanted my asking salary, id need to get either IEng or CEng for them to agree to it due to this. They were happy for me to decline the job offer, and come back anytime once I've obtained either (which im towards the end process of).

I know this is just one example, and many people will not have experienced anything like this, but it certainly does happen. And even if it doesn't directly get you a higher salary like my experience had, it certainly would help you either get a job at all when the market is tough, and gives you a little more leeway on trying to negotiate a higher pay. Their may be no direct evidence that EC registration gets you a higher pay, but I personally believe your better off with it than without it when fighting for a higher pay.
Children
No Data