This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

European recognition of Chartered Engineer Status

According to a bulletin issed by the European Commission (January 22 2018- Notice to Stakeholders)

'Authorized representatives or responsible people in the United Kingdom will not, as from the withdrawal date, be recognised as authorised representatives or responsible persons.....' . 

My question is as Chartered Engineers are essentially classed a 'Responsible People' will the withdrawal from EU rules mean that CEng will have to seek registration  as Eur Ing to work in or be recognized for work associated with Europe or Internationally.

Parents
  • I suspect there is no simple answer to this. What is probably needed is a reciprocal agreement between UK and the EU for mutual recognition, in much the same way as there is a need for a Trade Agreement to replace the Free Trade policy of the EU. I suspect that what the statement means is that there will not be 'automatic recognition' of authorized representatives or responsible people. With all the different agreements that have to be put in place there may be a gap until a mutual recognition agreement is put in place, during which time, who knows what will happen. Working internationally may be different as the Engineering Council registrations are UK awards rather than EU awards and are already recognised internationally, so there should not be an issue there.

It may be further complicated where there is a multinational employer with offices in the EU where the company may be the responsible organisation, which further clouds the issue. All I can say is I am working in the UK and have no intention of working in the EU in the few years left before I retire so it is not a problem for me (and before you ask, I voted 'remain'!)

Alasdair
  • I suspect there is no simple answer to this. What is probably needed is a reciprocal agreement between UK and the EU for mutual recognition, in much the same way as there is a need for a Trade Agreement to replace the Free Trade policy of the EU. I suspect that what the statement means is that there will not be 'automatic recognition' of authorized representatives or responsible people. With all the different agreements that have to be put in place there may be a gap until a mutual recognition agreement is put in place, during which time, who knows what will happen. Working internationally may be different as the Engineering Council registrations are UK awards rather than EU awards and are already recognised internationally, so there should not be an issue there.

It may be further complicated where there is a multinational employer with offices in the EU where the company may be the responsible organisation, which further clouds the issue. All I can say is I am working in the UK and have no intention of working in the EU in the few years left before I retire so it is not a problem for me (and before you ask, I voted 'remain'!)

Alasdair
Children
No Data