This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

European recognition of Chartered Engineer Status

According to a bulletin issed by the European Commission (January 22 2018- Notice to Stakeholders)

'Authorized representatives or responsible people in the United Kingdom will not, as from the withdrawal date, be recognised as authorised representatives or responsible persons.....' . 

My question is as Chartered Engineers are essentially classed a 'Responsible People' will the withdrawal from EU rules mean that CEng will have to seek registration  as Eur Ing to work in or be recognized for work associated with Europe or Internationally.

Parents
  • Is this "Notice To Stakeholders Withdrawal Of The United Kingdom And EU Rules In The Field Of Industrial Products"? If so, I think you'll find that "Responsible Person" is not connected to registered status at all, it will be defined in various regulations as the person who a company declares is Responsible for e.g. signing off compliance in their name. It's their status in the company that's important. They are the person that is held responsible if their products don't comply, it doesn't mean they are required to have any particular competence.

When I say "various regulations", it only actually seems to apply to the Cosmetic Products regulations 1223/2009 (based on a quick Google). And these (articles 4 & 5, yes I am a bit of an EU directive geek!) describe in great detail what the Responsible Person is responsible for, but not who they are - other than they must be in the EU.

So I wouldn't worry about that.

What would concern me far more if I was still working in design and manufacturing would be the other Notice to Stakeholders that came out on the same day:
    "Withdrawal Of The United Kingdom And EU Rules For Trademarks And Community Designs Pursuant To Regulation (EU) 2017/1001 On The European Union Trade Mark And Regulation (EC) No 6/2002 On Community Designs"

It's been pretty common for UK companies to get EU patents because a single application also covered the UK. But by the end of next year they won't.

No-one should underestimate the huge amount of new legislation we're going to have to write as we leave. Great for those of us who sit on the appropriate committees as we'll become very much in demand! (One of the many reasons I voted remain is because I'm so aware of the time that's going to have to be spent writing new laws and regulations. If that's what we (as a country) decide want to spend our money on, then fine. And as I say, professionally it's jolly good for me as a consultant for multiple reasons. But I don't think most people were / are aware of the huge cost and time that's going to be involved, and the uncertainty - and hence legal costs - during the transition; irrespective of whether it would change their mind I think they should at least know.)

Interesting, thanks for the heads-up,

Andy

• Is this "Notice To Stakeholders Withdrawal Of The United Kingdom And EU Rules In The Field Of Industrial Products"? If so, I think you'll find that "Responsible Person" is not connected to registered status at all, it will be defined in various regulations as the person who a company declares is Responsible for e.g. signing off compliance in their name. It's their status in the company that's important. They are the person that is held responsible if their products don't comply, it doesn't mean they are required to have any particular competence.

When I say "various regulations", it only actually seems to apply to the Cosmetic Products regulations 1223/2009 (based on a quick Google). And these (articles 4 & 5, yes I am a bit of an EU directive geek!) describe in great detail what the Responsible Person is responsible for, but not who they are - other than they must be in the EU.

So I wouldn't worry about that.

What would concern me far more if I was still working in design and manufacturing would be the other Notice to Stakeholders that came out on the same day:
    "Withdrawal Of The United Kingdom And EU Rules For Trademarks And Community Designs Pursuant To Regulation (EU) 2017/1001 On The European Union Trade Mark And Regulation (EC) No 6/2002 On Community Designs"

It's been pretty common for UK companies to get EU patents because a single application also covered the UK. But by the end of next year they won't.

No-one should underestimate the huge amount of new legislation we're going to have to write as we leave. Great for those of us who sit on the appropriate committees as we'll become very much in demand! (One of the many reasons I voted remain is because I'm so aware of the time that's going to have to be spent writing new laws and regulations. If that's what we (as a country) decide want to spend our money on, then fine. And as I say, professionally it's jolly good for me as a consultant for multiple reasons. But I don't think most people were / are aware of the huge cost and time that's going to be involved, and the uncertainty - and hence legal costs - during the transition; irrespective of whether it would change their mind I think they should at least know.)

Interesting, thanks for the heads-up,

Andy

Children
No Data