This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

European recognition of Chartered Engineer Status

According to a bulletin issed by the European Commission (January 22 2018- Notice to Stakeholders)

'Authorized representatives or responsible people in the United Kingdom will not, as from the withdrawal date, be recognised as authorised representatives or responsible persons.....' . 

My question is as Chartered Engineers are essentially classed a 'Responsible People' will the withdrawal from EU rules mean that CEng will have to seek registration  as Eur Ing to work in or be recognized for work associated with Europe or Internationally.

Parents

• Alasdair Anderson:

Whether CEng is recognised in Europe after Brexit is not a question for FEANI (who award the EUR ING title, not CEng), but rather a question for the Government and the EC who are the ones who award CEng

With regard to Alan's comments, I agree that the IET have an interest in whether CEng is recognised within the EU but they have no negotiating rights with the EU (and neither do the Engineering Council). Unless there is something in the news I have missed, there is at present no agreement with the EU so what is there that the IET can advise?

Alasdair

Yes, this is indeed true. However the government seem unable to answer even the most basic questions on Brexit so I doubt they will have an answer to this!  It is also worth noting that Theresa May has been withdrawing from membership of organisations such as EURATOM which are nothing to do with the EU but have "Europe" in their name.

I'm an IEng, so not personally concerned about Eur Ing,  I would like to know if I can still go and comission a machine in Germany after Brexit. It's issues like this where in my opinion the IET should have been lobbying the government and giving advice to the members.  Perhaps they have, and I have just not been aware of it.

John.

• Alasdair Anderson:

Whether CEng is recognised in Europe after Brexit is not a question for FEANI (who award the EUR ING title, not CEng), but rather a question for the Government and the EC who are the ones who award CEng

With regard to Alan's comments, I agree that the IET have an interest in whether CEng is recognised within the EU but they have no negotiating rights with the EU (and neither do the Engineering Council). Unless there is something in the news I have missed, there is at present no agreement with the EU so what is there that the IET can advise?

Alasdair

Yes, this is indeed true. However the government seem unable to answer even the most basic questions on Brexit so I doubt they will have an answer to this!  It is also worth noting that Theresa May has been withdrawing from membership of organisations such as EURATOM which are nothing to do with the EU but have "Europe" in their name.

I'm an IEng, so not personally concerned about Eur Ing,  I would like to know if I can still go and comission a machine in Germany after Brexit. It's issues like this where in my opinion the IET should have been lobbying the government and giving advice to the members.  Perhaps they have, and I have just not been aware of it.

John.

Children
No Data