This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

The Engineers of the Future Will Not Resemble the Engineers of the Past

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
https://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/at-work/education/the-engineers-of-the-future-will-not-resemble-the-engineers-of-the-past

This is dated  May 2017

I think it's relevant internationally even Engineering education and formation is different between countries.

I thought it would be good to share it in this forum.

Moshe W  BEET, MCGI, CEng MBCS, MIET
Parents
  • Andy,

You have touched a sensitive nerve there. I and a colleague spent large amounts of our time saying to engineers submitting proposals "But what happens when [that item] fails?" There seems to be an assumption that everything will work with 100% reliability which I can definitely say is not the case. I work on the basis that the design hasn't failed if it has maintained safety (which is not necessarily the same as functionality). After all, if there is a short circuit and the fuse or circuit breaker isolates the fault, the design has worked. I think the phrase should be "If you are a good engineer, your designs won't fail dangerously".

Alasdair
  • Andy,

You have touched a sensitive nerve there. I and a colleague spent large amounts of our time saying to engineers submitting proposals "But what happens when [that item] fails?" There seems to be an assumption that everything will work with 100% reliability which I can definitely say is not the case. I work on the basis that the design hasn't failed if it has maintained safety (which is not necessarily the same as functionality). After all, if there is a short circuit and the fuse or circuit breaker isolates the fault, the design has worked. I think the phrase should be "If you are a good engineer, your designs won't fail dangerously".

Alasdair
Children
No Data