This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

The Engineers of the Future Will Not Resemble the Engineers of the Past

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
https://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/at-work/education/the-engineers-of-the-future-will-not-resemble-the-engineers-of-the-past

This is dated  May 2017

I think it's relevant internationally even Engineering education and formation is different between countries.

I thought it would be good to share it in this forum.

Moshe W  BEET, MCGI, CEng MBCS, MIET
Parents

• Roy Pemberton:

Alasdair,

Whilst you're undoubtedly right that the highest priority is to maintain safety, and that, as failure is not completely avoidable, safe failure has to be engineered, that is only part of the story. 

Roy,

I fully agree with you (and Andy) - I was just rather limited in time for commenting. I agree that systems should be designed with the best reliability achievable for the user, I was just trying to make the point that we shouldn't be scared to assume that this reliability is less then 100% (albeit getting as close to that figure as we can achieve).

I work in the marine industry where if there is a failure that leaves a ship dead in the water it can be a life or death situation so we do the utmost to avoid this, but still accept that it may happen and provide engineering solutions to bring back functionality as quickly (and safely) as possible.

Alasdair

• Roy Pemberton:

Alasdair,

Whilst you're undoubtedly right that the highest priority is to maintain safety, and that, as failure is not completely avoidable, safe failure has to be engineered, that is only part of the story. 

Roy,

I fully agree with you (and Andy) - I was just rather limited in time for commenting. I agree that systems should be designed with the best reliability achievable for the user, I was just trying to make the point that we shouldn't be scared to assume that this reliability is less then 100% (albeit getting as close to that figure as we can achieve).

I work in the marine industry where if there is a failure that leaves a ship dead in the water it can be a life or death situation so we do the utmost to avoid this, but still accept that it may happen and provide engineering solutions to bring back functionality as quickly (and safely) as possible.

Alasdair

Children
No Data