This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

The Engineers of the Future Will Not Resemble the Engineers of the Past

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
https://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/at-work/education/the-engineers-of-the-future-will-not-resemble-the-engineers-of-the-past

This is dated  May 2017

I think it's relevant internationally even Engineering education and formation is different between countries.

I thought it would be good to share it in this forum.

Moshe W  BEET, MCGI, CEng MBCS, MIET
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Roy Pemberton:

I would tell you about my current main assignment, which is all about what we do at Euston Station with Customer Information Systems to improve safety, pedestrian flow, and customer experience. 

I can inform you, as a past infrequent user of Euston St. some of the concerns I've had that are listed below:

• Too many people walking aimlessly about or standing in one spor, thus blocking my flow of travel.

• The reason for above is that all services are located in a disorderly manner.

• There were two ticket offices in different locations: main line in one place, and Oyster at the end of one(or maybe both) tunnels (or passage ways).

• As there are two passage ways leading to the trains, I couldn't tell which platforms were in which passage ways, and went down the wrong one, only to miss my train, when I finally got to the right platform.  What about using coloured signs on both the train arrival time-tables, as well as to the tunnel entrances, as used on the London Underground. So let's say platforms 1-10 are down the tunnel indicated by a red sign; and 11-16 down the blue tunnel.

• There was no indication of where the toilets are, if there are any. It would be useful to have a sign that says where the toilets are, or that there are no toilets in the station; so at least passengers don't waist their time looking for one.

• Lastly, from time-to-time passengers are met with scammers: people coming up with sad stories in order to extract monies from them. I was stopped by one foreign speaking, so called businessman, on two separate occations; pretending he had lost his wallet and was penniless. I reminded him that this was the second time he'd approached me claiming he'd lost his wallet. He quickly walked away. The station has responsibility for ensuring security of passengers inside its building. There should therefore be a sign warning passengers not to give money to beggars, and should report it to security or staff on standby.

Of course it would be great to have all the information (including a visual tour of the station) at hand - before making a journey to the station - using a smartphone app.

What about being able to purchase your ticket through the app and then scan the phone at the platform entrance, or even whilst travelling on the train, like they do on the buses? Then passengers can avoid the queues, and get on the train first.

Hope that helps!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Roy Pemberton:

I would tell you about my current main assignment, which is all about what we do at Euston Station with Customer Information Systems to improve safety, pedestrian flow, and customer experience. 

I can inform you, as a past infrequent user of Euston St. some of the concerns I've had that are listed below:

• Too many people walking aimlessly about or standing in one spor, thus blocking my flow of travel.

• The reason for above is that all services are located in a disorderly manner.

• There were two ticket offices in different locations: main line in one place, and Oyster at the end of one(or maybe both) tunnels (or passage ways).

• As there are two passage ways leading to the trains, I couldn't tell which platforms were in which passage ways, and went down the wrong one, only to miss my train, when I finally got to the right platform.  What about using coloured signs on both the train arrival time-tables, as well as to the tunnel entrances, as used on the London Underground. So let's say platforms 1-10 are down the tunnel indicated by a red sign; and 11-16 down the blue tunnel.

• There was no indication of where the toilets are, if there are any. It would be useful to have a sign that says where the toilets are, or that there are no toilets in the station; so at least passengers don't waist their time looking for one.

• Lastly, from time-to-time passengers are met with scammers: people coming up with sad stories in order to extract monies from them. I was stopped by one foreign speaking, so called businessman, on two separate occations; pretending he had lost his wallet and was penniless. I reminded him that this was the second time he'd approached me claiming he'd lost his wallet. He quickly walked away. The station has responsibility for ensuring security of passengers inside its building. There should therefore be a sign warning passengers not to give money to beggars, and should report it to security or staff on standby.

Of course it would be great to have all the information (including a visual tour of the station) at hand - before making a journey to the station - using a smartphone app.

What about being able to purchase your ticket through the app and then scan the phone at the platform entrance, or even whilst travelling on the train, like they do on the buses? Then passengers can avoid the queues, and get on the train first.

Hope that helps!
Children
No Data