This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

The Engineers of the Future Will Not Resemble the Engineers of the Past

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
https://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/at-work/education/the-engineers-of-the-future-will-not-resemble-the-engineers-of-the-past

This is dated  May 2017

I think it's relevant internationally even Engineering education and formation is different between countries.

I thought it would be good to share it in this forum.

Moshe W  BEET, MCGI, CEng MBCS, MIET
Parents
  • Hi Roy,

It was a training course on Common Safety Method (for Risk Evaluation and Assessment) - we deliver them to NR all over the place, I'll be delivering one in Basingstoke next week (possibly my last ever as I'm changing employer at the end of next week). Now there's a real education challenge: keeping engineers awake while you're training them on both safety engineering and legal compliance at the same time smiley Discussing lots of real railway "incidents" always works well!

Had a nice surprise, I got up to York early yesterday so had time to have a quick visit to the railway museum, and found that the first thing I ever designed for the rail industry is in there - that was very satisfying! Not that anybody would ever know, it's buried inside the particular Eurostar power car they have there. As we get older we realise that so much of what we do as engineers (particularly electronics engineers) is ephemeral, that it's pleasing when something actually gets preserved.

Cheers,

Andy
  • Hi Roy,

It was a training course on Common Safety Method (for Risk Evaluation and Assessment) - we deliver them to NR all over the place, I'll be delivering one in Basingstoke next week (possibly my last ever as I'm changing employer at the end of next week). Now there's a real education challenge: keeping engineers awake while you're training them on both safety engineering and legal compliance at the same time smiley Discussing lots of real railway "incidents" always works well!

Had a nice surprise, I got up to York early yesterday so had time to have a quick visit to the railway museum, and found that the first thing I ever designed for the rail industry is in there - that was very satisfying! Not that anybody would ever know, it's buried inside the particular Eurostar power car they have there. As we get older we realise that so much of what we do as engineers (particularly electronics engineers) is ephemeral, that it's pleasing when something actually gets preserved.

Cheers,

Andy
Children
No Data