This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

The Engineers of the Future Will Not Resemble the Engineers of the Past

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
https://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/at-work/education/the-engineers-of-the-future-will-not-resemble-the-engineers-of-the-past

This is dated  May 2017

I think it's relevant internationally even Engineering education and formation is different between countries.

I thought it would be good to share it in this forum.

Moshe W  BEET, MCGI, CEng MBCS, MIET
Parents
  • The article is American. I'm concerned that foreign authors do not always understand the peculiarities of the economy and the job market in other countries.

I'm of the opinion that education should not be homogenous worldwide but instead tailored to the job market and economy of that particular country. Engineering courses in British universities are driven by overseas students to the point where universities are more interested in providing for them whilst treating home students almost like excess baggage. This factor could be very prohibitive when it comes to curriculum reform. Vocational courses and apprenticeships are the fertile ground for innovation rather than engineering degrees.
  • The article is American. I'm concerned that foreign authors do not always understand the peculiarities of the economy and the job market in other countries.

I'm of the opinion that education should not be homogenous worldwide but instead tailored to the job market and economy of that particular country. Engineering courses in British universities are driven by overseas students to the point where universities are more interested in providing for them whilst treating home students almost like excess baggage. This factor could be very prohibitive when it comes to curriculum reform. Vocational courses and apprenticeships are the fertile ground for innovation rather than engineering degrees.
Children
No Data