This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

University in need of repair

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
https://www.economist.com/britain/2018/09/15/rebuilding-british-higher-educations-most-unusual-institution

Rebuilding British higher education’s most unusual institution .

Parents
  • Simon’s point is well-made!

When I studied with the OU during the late 1990s they were just introducing on-line forums, but were still sending out audio cassette tapes and VHS videos as part of the packages of learning materials, which were probably “market leading”.  The traditional university model of that time usually involved either purchasing expensive textbooks, or dashing to the university library to borrow the recommended reading, or at least make a reservation to do so (often on short term loan).  Obviously the internet has transformed the availability of knowledge and the exchange of ideas such as in these forums.  

As “a learning provider” it could be argued that the OU has no more right to exist than any other.  Understandably there are those willing to campaign for it both for sentimental and political reasons   https://www.suttontrust.com/newsarchive/decline-part-time-mature-students/

I have no affiliation with the Sutton Trust and no sentimental attachment to the OU, but I have argued in these forums that Engineering and Technology is potentially very well-placed to play a leading role in enabling “social mobility” and “life-long learning”. Society has begun to take for granted most of our achievements, as our predecessors already did awe.    

“Educationalists” overvalue the acquisition of knowledge, relative to “vocationalists” (like me) who are more interested in “application” to create skills and productivity. The engineering profession has allowed itself to be dominated by educationalists, who like to ration access and obsess about relative status. The proposition of The International Engineering Alliance for example, becomes irrelevant to most people over the age of 22, who at that time may have 50 years in the workplace ahead of them.

Perhaps the best way forward for the OU is to become a preferred partner of major employers and a national service to small and medium enterprises with a strong vocational focus, blending significant elements of work-based learning? The market for “recreational degrees” amongst older people, clearly won’t stand the price hikes and arguably doesn’t deserve significant public subsidy.   

• Simon’s point is well-made!

When I studied with the OU during the late 1990s they were just introducing on-line forums, but were still sending out audio cassette tapes and VHS videos as part of the packages of learning materials, which were probably “market leading”.  The traditional university model of that time usually involved either purchasing expensive textbooks, or dashing to the university library to borrow the recommended reading, or at least make a reservation to do so (often on short term loan).  Obviously the internet has transformed the availability of knowledge and the exchange of ideas such as in these forums.  

As “a learning provider” it could be argued that the OU has no more right to exist than any other.  Understandably there are those willing to campaign for it both for sentimental and political reasons   https://www.suttontrust.com/newsarchive/decline-part-time-mature-students/

I have no affiliation with the Sutton Trust and no sentimental attachment to the OU, but I have argued in these forums that Engineering and Technology is potentially very well-placed to play a leading role in enabling “social mobility” and “life-long learning”. Society has begun to take for granted most of our achievements, as our predecessors already did awe.    

“Educationalists” overvalue the acquisition of knowledge, relative to “vocationalists” (like me) who are more interested in “application” to create skills and productivity. The engineering profession has allowed itself to be dominated by educationalists, who like to ration access and obsess about relative status. The proposition of The International Engineering Alliance for example, becomes irrelevant to most people over the age of 22, who at that time may have 50 years in the workplace ahead of them.

Perhaps the best way forward for the OU is to become a preferred partner of major employers and a national service to small and medium enterprises with a strong vocational focus, blending significant elements of work-based learning? The market for “recreational degrees” amongst older people, clearly won’t stand the price hikes and arguably doesn’t deserve significant public subsidy.   

Children
No Data