This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

University in need of repair

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
https://www.economist.com/britain/2018/09/15/rebuilding-british-higher-educations-most-unusual-institution

Rebuilding British higher education’s most unusual institution .

Parents
  • Thanks for posting Moshe, a couple of interesting articles.

This statement took me rather by surprise in the first article

OU was founded in 1969 by the U.K. Labour Party. Pegged as an affordable, accessible avenue to higher education, the institution is now the country’s largest and educates nearly one-third (31%) of the U.K.’s university-going individuals under 25.

The institution was formed by a “government” not a political party. “The largest university in Europe with 173,927 students”... “fees about two thirds the cost of an equivalent qualification offered at a campus-based university”… “34% of new OU undergraduates are under 25” (source OU website). Whilst I haven’t taken the time to research the numbers further, for the OU to have nearly one-third of undergraduates under 25, seems unlikely to me?

In the second article I came across a new term that elicited a wry smile “Nanodegree”. However, I won’t comment in case I am held to have committed a “Microaggression” against someonewink

• Thanks for posting Moshe, a couple of interesting articles.

This statement took me rather by surprise in the first article

OU was founded in 1969 by the U.K. Labour Party. Pegged as an affordable, accessible avenue to higher education, the institution is now the country’s largest and educates nearly one-third (31%) of the U.K.’s university-going individuals under 25.

The institution was formed by a “government” not a political party. “The largest university in Europe with 173,927 students”... “fees about two thirds the cost of an equivalent qualification offered at a campus-based university”… “34% of new OU undergraduates are under 25” (source OU website). Whilst I haven’t taken the time to research the numbers further, for the OU to have nearly one-third of undergraduates under 25, seems unlikely to me?

In the second article I came across a new term that elicited a wry smile “Nanodegree”. However, I won’t comment in case I am held to have committed a “Microaggression” against someonewink

Children
No Data