This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Watching TV on 5G mobile?

YouTube TV service and Apple TV or Google Chromecast are included with Verizon's initial 5G residential broadband launch. https://www.verizonwireless.com/5g/home/

So 5G has disrupted the traditional way of watching TV.
Do you think it will be the new trend of watching TV?

Parents
  • I am very much not on the 5G party line - I don't see half of the applications that they want it used for actually being viable or used at all. For video there is little or no advantage to moving to it whilst we still have DVB-T/T2 infrastructure in use (there is NO advantage and that infrastructure is already sunk cost), and even when that is shut down in the transition to IP based delivery the vast majority of that will be done over Fixed line, leaving (in the UK at least) this to be used for less than 0.5% to 1% of the population. That may justify the cost models of 5G technology itself, which from a major equipment vendor's analysis was pointing to €40 MONTHLY ARPU being required to even PAY for the usage and not even the deployment costs. Mobile video delivery will take place but will be as generic unicast IP delivery as it is today, but whether it will use 5G is somewhat doubtful as the cell density/shared media/transmissability issues of these high frequency transmissions will almost certainly mean that in actual usage we will be still be using 4G technology and frequencies.

The challenge in real terms for 5G is that it is a technology in search of an application and not the other way round.
  • I am very much not on the 5G party line - I don't see half of the applications that they want it used for actually being viable or used at all. For video there is little or no advantage to moving to it whilst we still have DVB-T/T2 infrastructure in use (there is NO advantage and that infrastructure is already sunk cost), and even when that is shut down in the transition to IP based delivery the vast majority of that will be done over Fixed line, leaving (in the UK at least) this to be used for less than 0.5% to 1% of the population. That may justify the cost models of 5G technology itself, which from a major equipment vendor's analysis was pointing to €40 MONTHLY ARPU being required to even PAY for the usage and not even the deployment costs. Mobile video delivery will take place but will be as generic unicast IP delivery as it is today, but whether it will use 5G is somewhat doubtful as the cell density/shared media/transmissability issues of these high frequency transmissions will almost certainly mean that in actual usage we will be still be using 4G technology and frequencies.

The challenge in real terms for 5G is that it is a technology in search of an application and not the other way round.
Children
No Data