This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Time to throw in the towel?

I’m a young professional engineer and have been working with my current employer for the past seven years. I’ve applied for a few different internal roles during my time here that I feel would improve my personal and professional development but on every occasion I’ve been turned down.

I’ve been keeping up to date with my CPD and have attended many events and conferences etc related to my industry and have been on many internal training courses. However, the feedback I’m getting is that I don’t have enough experience for the roles I’m applying for? But how do I move forward with my career if I keep getting turned down for the roles that will give me more experience?

Is it time to throw in the towel and start looking to move to another employer or should I stick it out for a bit longer?

Overlooked and frustrated - Manchester

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • I think you have to look at are the roles you are applying for - has this been a path that has been suggested to you by a manager or senior people in your department? 

If you keep getting told that you don't have enough experience are you applying for roles that are at a much higher grade than you are at, so trying to miss out steps in your career ladder? 

Can you ask your manager what is going wrong and if they could suggest a way to reach your goal. 

If not, then it may be time to move on.
  • I think you have to look at are the roles you are applying for - has this been a path that has been suggested to you by a manager or senior people in your department? 

If you keep getting told that you don't have enough experience are you applying for roles that are at a much higher grade than you are at, so trying to miss out steps in your career ladder? 

Can you ask your manager what is going wrong and if they could suggest a way to reach your goal. 

If not, then it may be time to move on.
Children
No Data