This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Ohhh Jeremy Corbyn

Seriously. Are there any engineers who are passionate about Jeremy Corbyn?

Parents

• David Parr:

We need a few more ex-engineers in harness; some people with a grasp of how the world works and the ability to make sensible decisions based on the requirements of industry and the needs of the general population.

Hmmm...my experience has been that many people tend to become engineers because they can't cope with people smiley Project managers whose projects fall apart because they assume that everyone working on them is going to act rationally and logically. And the one I keep coming across in my present job, design engineers who believe that maintainers, operators and the general public are going to (amongst other things) a) read every instruction manual and then follow it and b) act thoughtfully and logically!

On my occasional forays into schools - I don't do as many now as I used to - I am trying to emphasise that engineering is a team game, and whilst we can make space for those who struggle with that, we also welcome - and desperately need - those who like working with people, both colleagues and customers. It's not about building stuff for the sake of building stuff, it's about understanding and solving customers needs. When we achieve that glorious day when most engineers can actually listen to a customer and work out how to adapt their technology to meet what the customer needs, rather than complaining that the customer is stupid because they don't understand the technology, then we'll be ready to get involved in politics! smiley (Yes, I'm being very "broad brush" and OTT here, but a) it's Sunday morning so why not, and b) anyone who's rung too many IT "helplines" will know exactly where I'm coming from...)

I tend to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy view (expressed in many other places as well of course) that anyone who wants to rule the universe shouldn't be allowed to.

​​​​ I do not see any value to anyone in declaring my party political views, or my views on any politician's personality, character, or overall political views, on this forum. If any UK politician takes an action that actually affects the world of engineering then that action of course is a reasonable matter for debate here. As the very sensible advice goes in how to support children developing: there is value in criticising specific behaviour, criticising a person is of no value whatsoever.

Thanks,

Andy

• David Parr:

We need a few more ex-engineers in harness; some people with a grasp of how the world works and the ability to make sensible decisions based on the requirements of industry and the needs of the general population.

Hmmm...my experience has been that many people tend to become engineers because they can't cope with people smiley Project managers whose projects fall apart because they assume that everyone working on them is going to act rationally and logically. And the one I keep coming across in my present job, design engineers who believe that maintainers, operators and the general public are going to (amongst other things) a) read every instruction manual and then follow it and b) act thoughtfully and logically!

On my occasional forays into schools - I don't do as many now as I used to - I am trying to emphasise that engineering is a team game, and whilst we can make space for those who struggle with that, we also welcome - and desperately need - those who like working with people, both colleagues and customers. It's not about building stuff for the sake of building stuff, it's about understanding and solving customers needs. When we achieve that glorious day when most engineers can actually listen to a customer and work out how to adapt their technology to meet what the customer needs, rather than complaining that the customer is stupid because they don't understand the technology, then we'll be ready to get involved in politics! smiley (Yes, I'm being very "broad brush" and OTT here, but a) it's Sunday morning so why not, and b) anyone who's rung too many IT "helplines" will know exactly where I'm coming from...)

I tend to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy view (expressed in many other places as well of course) that anyone who wants to rule the universe shouldn't be allowed to.

​​​​ I do not see any value to anyone in declaring my party political views, or my views on any politician's personality, character, or overall political views, on this forum. If any UK politician takes an action that actually affects the world of engineering then that action of course is a reasonable matter for debate here. As the very sensible advice goes in how to support children developing: there is value in criticising specific behaviour, criticising a person is of no value whatsoever.

Thanks,

Andy

Children
No Data