This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: How can I keep my daughter inspired in engineering subjects?

My daughter is 11 and loves all things STEM! However they don’t do a lot of science at school and I want to make sure she stays interested in the subject.

I am clueless about engineering and I was hoping to get some advice about interesting activities to inspire her.

I'm a single mum and money is tight, so big expensive things are out – any suggestions on what I can do?

Looking for inspiration - Brighton

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • Here's a suggestion (given the excellent ideas above): Could there be an IET "TripAdviser-like" page on this website for member recommended engineering/STEM attractions? Particularly the more obscure ones. Having done a (very) quick search on the web I can't see anyone else having done it for the UK - at least, only for the big obvious attractions. 

Of course it'll have to have a "this information may not be up to date, please check" caveat, but as long as each entry has a website link that should be fine?

I have lots of suggestions to kick it off, I'm sure many others here do too.

Cheers,

Andy
  • Here's a suggestion (given the excellent ideas above): Could there be an IET "TripAdviser-like" page on this website for member recommended engineering/STEM attractions? Particularly the more obscure ones. Having done a (very) quick search on the web I can't see anyone else having done it for the UK - at least, only for the big obvious attractions. 

Of course it'll have to have a "this information may not be up to date, please check" caveat, but as long as each entry has a website link that should be fine?

I have lots of suggestions to kick it off, I'm sure many others here do too.

Cheers,

Andy
Children
No Data