This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: How can I keep my daughter inspired in engineering subjects?

My daughter is 11 and loves all things STEM! However they don’t do a lot of science at school and I want to make sure she stays interested in the subject.

I am clueless about engineering and I was hoping to get some advice about interesting activities to inspire her.

I'm a single mum and money is tight, so big expensive things are out – any suggestions on what I can do?

Looking for inspiration - Brighton

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents

• Timothy East:

I agree its hard for kids to get involved in STEM outside of school - or so it seems

I disagree with this one using my experience of several years of involvement with home education.

I can remember a time when a parent, who was a child of the 1980s, told me how difficult the situation was back then. His primary school only taught nature study but not 'hard' science and the teachers had an indifferent attitude towards STEM. Even the maths was just arithmetic and didn't cover topics like algebra or probability. Resources were far more limited to whatever books were available in libraries and local bookshops; a few magazines like New Scientist; and a handful of TV programmes. He visited a few museums but there wasn't much in the way of activities and exhibitions locally.

• Timothy East:

I agree its hard for kids to get involved in STEM outside of school - or so it seems

I disagree with this one using my experience of several years of involvement with home education.

I can remember a time when a parent, who was a child of the 1980s, told me how difficult the situation was back then. His primary school only taught nature study but not 'hard' science and the teachers had an indifferent attitude towards STEM. Even the maths was just arithmetic and didn't cover topics like algebra or probability. Resources were far more limited to whatever books were available in libraries and local bookshops; a few magazines like New Scientist; and a handful of TV programmes. He visited a few museums but there wasn't much in the way of activities and exhibitions locally.

Children
No Data