This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: How can I keep my daughter inspired in engineering subjects?

My daughter is 11 and loves all things STEM! However they don’t do a lot of science at school and I want to make sure she stays interested in the subject.

I am clueless about engineering and I was hoping to get some advice about interesting activities to inspire her.

I'm a single mum and money is tight, so big expensive things are out – any suggestions on what I can do?

Looking for inspiration - Brighton

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents

• Martin Letts:

The I graduated to making my own fireworks and working rockets. Sadly not allowed now due to H&S. 

Just to mention that building working rockets (in the UK at least) is absolutely fine! if anyone wants to have a go with their daughter (or even son), here's a suggested start (although I haven't tried them myself so it's a suggestion not a recommendation): https://www.modelrockets.co.uk/shop/starter-sets-with-motors/do-you-need-help-choosing-get-the-right-set-p-3017.html Although of course, Martin, yours may have been more "exciting" than these smiley

I spent most of my 9 years as a school H&S Governor explaining to the teachers that they could usually do absolutely anything they thought was reasonable, although as a school they did have to write down why they thought it was ok...I'm always wary that people in semi-authority positions (including at least one county council H&S official angry) say "you can't do that because of H&S" as shorthand for "you can't do that because I think I might get blamed for it and I can't be bothered to find out what the law actually says". My absolute favourite being "you can't bring a WorkMate into this college unless it's been PAT tested". Personally I always go back to the actual legislation (or authoritative guidance) - it is usually far more open minded and pragmatic than people expect. Sorry, off topic!  

Cheers,

Andy

• Martin Letts:

The I graduated to making my own fireworks and working rockets. Sadly not allowed now due to H&S. 

Just to mention that building working rockets (in the UK at least) is absolutely fine! if anyone wants to have a go with their daughter (or even son), here's a suggested start (although I haven't tried them myself so it's a suggestion not a recommendation): https://www.modelrockets.co.uk/shop/starter-sets-with-motors/do-you-need-help-choosing-get-the-right-set-p-3017.html Although of course, Martin, yours may have been more "exciting" than these smiley

I spent most of my 9 years as a school H&S Governor explaining to the teachers that they could usually do absolutely anything they thought was reasonable, although as a school they did have to write down why they thought it was ok...I'm always wary that people in semi-authority positions (including at least one county council H&S official angry) say "you can't do that because of H&S" as shorthand for "you can't do that because I think I might get blamed for it and I can't be bothered to find out what the law actually says". My absolute favourite being "you can't bring a WorkMate into this college unless it's been PAT tested". Personally I always go back to the actual legislation (or authoritative guidance) - it is usually far more open minded and pragmatic than people expect. Sorry, off topic!  

Cheers,

Andy

Children
No Data