This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Should I play it safe or take a leap of faith?

I’m a 30 something and I’m looking to change careers. I’ve been working in aerospace since I graduated and my job has become stagnant and unfulfilling. I’ve been thinking about a change and moving into the nuclear industry

I’m afraid that starting from scratch will mean exactly that for my salary. I can probably afford a small pay cut, but not going back to graduate wages. I’m also worried when looking for a job that I’ll fall into that trap of being ‘over-qualified’ that lots of recruiters use as a reason not to hire someone!

I know I’m going to be working for the next 30/40 years of my life and I want something that excites me, but should I play it safe or take a leap?

Undecided – Durham

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • Have a look around and see what is out there. You have nothing to lose by applying for other roles and going to interviews to find out what is on offer and whether you might like it or not. You need to find a sense of fulfillment in career. As you say, so are going to be doing it for sometime to come. Sure we all have dull patches, but don't stick at it for too long. I have changed career path a number of times, working in different industries and even running my own business for a time. You will have many cross over skills and engineering logic can be applied to many diverse situations.
  • Have a look around and see what is out there. You have nothing to lose by applying for other roles and going to interviews to find out what is on offer and whether you might like it or not. You need to find a sense of fulfillment in career. As you say, so are going to be doing it for sometime to come. Sure we all have dull patches, but don't stick at it for too long. I have changed career path a number of times, working in different industries and even running my own business for a time. You will have many cross over skills and engineering logic can be applied to many diverse situations.
Children
No Data