This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Is having Physics A-level a 'must have' to do an Engineering Degree?

My son wants to be an engineer when he grows up. He is doing his GCSE’s this year and getting ready to choose his A-Levels, but his school has a new physics teacher, whom he HATES! He is now adamant he won’t be choosing physics at A-Level, but I’m worried that he’ll struggle to get onto an engineering course at a good university without it.

He doesn’t want to change schools as all his friends are staying; it’s one of the best schools in the area and local too, so I don’t really want him to have to move either. So my question is, does he need a physics A-Level or can he get by without it?

A-Level dilemmas - Darlington

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • It is certainly possible to qualify for an engineering degree without having to do an A-Level in Physics as most Universities, particularly the ones within the Russell Group ask for an A-Level in Maths and a science subject i.e. Physics, Chemistry or Biology but preferably Physics. Another option, as mentioned by an earlier reply in the thread is to do an engineering BTEC Diploma which is a more practical form of education consisting of coursework & assignments rather than exams and universities will also set out the BTEC requirements needed if this route is followed. This will take the same amount of time as completing A-Levels and most sixth form colleges offer both BTEC and A-Levels. One thing to bear in mind if following the BTEC route is that often universities might require the student to complete a foundation year in order to cover higher level mathematical or scientific concepts which are not usually introduced within the BTEC engineering diplomas, so this will be an additional year to however long the Bachelors or Masters degree is. I have seen in the past that it may be allowed to do the BTEC course and an A-Level in mathematics as well but this will need to be discussed with sixth form faculty as timetabling is often an issue and I'm not certain this would mean a foundation year is not required. The best thing to do is have discussion  with your son to see if he has any preferences on which University he would like to go to or even just look through Universities together and then look at the requirements they ask for. 

Regards,

- Ghibson
  • It is certainly possible to qualify for an engineering degree without having to do an A-Level in Physics as most Universities, particularly the ones within the Russell Group ask for an A-Level in Maths and a science subject i.e. Physics, Chemistry or Biology but preferably Physics. Another option, as mentioned by an earlier reply in the thread is to do an engineering BTEC Diploma which is a more practical form of education consisting of coursework & assignments rather than exams and universities will also set out the BTEC requirements needed if this route is followed. This will take the same amount of time as completing A-Levels and most sixth form colleges offer both BTEC and A-Levels. One thing to bear in mind if following the BTEC route is that often universities might require the student to complete a foundation year in order to cover higher level mathematical or scientific concepts which are not usually introduced within the BTEC engineering diplomas, so this will be an additional year to however long the Bachelors or Masters degree is. I have seen in the past that it may be allowed to do the BTEC course and an A-Level in mathematics as well but this will need to be discussed with sixth form faculty as timetabling is often an issue and I'm not certain this would mean a foundation year is not required. The best thing to do is have discussion  with your son to see if he has any preferences on which University he would like to go to or even just look through Universities together and then look at the requirements they ask for. 

Regards,

- Ghibson
Children
No Data