This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Why Doesn't Britain Have a Huauei of its own?

This was the headline in the Guardian Opinion section for May 8 th 2019 written by Aditya Chakrabortty.

To answer this question he examines the history of GEC after Arnold Weinstock left in 1996  and <quote> "all hell broke loose" with the appointment of George Simpson (an accountant), and John Mayo (from the Merchant Banking world).

Even companies outside of Britain (examples RCA and Westinghouse)  have been afflicted by the same upper management failures.

What does Britain have to do to create a business climate that will allow world class companies to thrive?

Peter Brooks MIET

Palm Bay Florida USA
Parents
  • Hello Peter, I wonder why our experiences and perception of part-time study are so different?  

As a 21 year old (with an HNC), I considered enrolment on one of the very few part-time degrees then available. It was conducted over five years, one day and evening per week with no advanced standing for having an HNC. However, weighing up the costs versus benefits, they just didn’t stack up and I signed up at my nearest Polytechnic for an industrial management course instead. However, my more recent experience was as a Company Training Manager where I ran a highly successful and award winning Student Engineer and Commercial Student training programme (aka Apprenticeship). During each year trainees spent about 10-12 weeks (in 4-6 week blocks) first at a college then a university with the remainder spent at work, but with academic assignments to complete. This was an intense 4 year scheme. I am aware that The IET has recently accredited a two-year intensive BEng for CEng as part of a Degree Apprenticeship. Although the Washington Accord won't accept that because they just count the number of years spent in university.

I don’t want to take your proposition off at a tangent. How we train and recognise engineers is only a part of the issue and the work of Michael Porter (which I read during my part-time MBA) might be more relevant?  https://hbr.org/1990/03/the-competitive-advantage-of-nations .  

• Hello Peter, I wonder why our experiences and perception of part-time study are so different?  

As a 21 year old (with an HNC), I considered enrolment on one of the very few part-time degrees then available. It was conducted over five years, one day and evening per week with no advanced standing for having an HNC. However, weighing up the costs versus benefits, they just didn’t stack up and I signed up at my nearest Polytechnic for an industrial management course instead. However, my more recent experience was as a Company Training Manager where I ran a highly successful and award winning Student Engineer and Commercial Student training programme (aka Apprenticeship). During each year trainees spent about 10-12 weeks (in 4-6 week blocks) first at a college then a university with the remainder spent at work, but with academic assignments to complete. This was an intense 4 year scheme. I am aware that The IET has recently accredited a two-year intensive BEng for CEng as part of a Degree Apprenticeship. Although the Washington Accord won't accept that because they just count the number of years spent in university.

I don’t want to take your proposition off at a tangent. How we train and recognise engineers is only a part of the issue and the work of Michael Porter (which I read during my part-time MBA) might be more relevant?  https://hbr.org/1990/03/the-competitive-advantage-of-nations .  

Children
No Data