This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Would the engineering community be happy with an independent Northern Ireland?

One of the thorniest problems with Brexit is where to place the 'hard' border between the UK and Ireland. Should it be between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland or between Northern Ireland and the Mainland?

Voting in Northern Ireland in the EU Referendum was very much along sectarian lines with the Protestant and Unionists communities predominantly voting Leave and the Catholic and Republican communities predominantly voting Remain. An exception to the rule was North Down but that has similar demographics to Surrey. Therefore, wherever the 'hard' border is located it has the potential to re-ignite the Troubles and in a worst case scenario a return to the 1970s.

An alternative is for the Mainland to leave the EU and Northern Ireland be granted independence from the UK as a member of the EU.

1. Would the engineering community (on both sides of the North Channel) be happy with an independent Northern Ireland?

2. If a referendum is held on whether Northern Ireland should remain as part of the UK or granted independence, then should it only be held in Northern Ireland or should it be held throughout the UK?
Parents
  • On question 1, I think this is a decision for the Irish (North and south) and not the engineering community. The problem with an independent Northern Ireland is that it does not have a functioning government even for its present devolved status.

Question 2. Such a referendum is already provided for in the Good Friday agreement and would be a referendum of the whole of Ireland, but I believe I am right in saying that the result in Northern Ireland would be paramount.
  • On question 1, I think this is a decision for the Irish (North and south) and not the engineering community. The problem with an independent Northern Ireland is that it does not have a functioning government even for its present devolved status.

Question 2. Such a referendum is already provided for in the Good Friday agreement and would be a referendum of the whole of Ireland, but I believe I am right in saying that the result in Northern Ireland would be paramount.
Children
No Data