This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Isolation requested

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Good morning All, 

I need to understand something. 

I know the regulation request the isolation as requested for each electrical installations. 

In the scenario where I have the distribution board close to all the electrical equipment (same room)

and each line is separated and protected by their own MCB.

Do I need to install the isolator too? 

I can isolate every circuit directly from the DB?

Thank you and have a nice day
Parents
  • Paul posted as I was writing and is clearly expert. However, I thought that these comments from a slightly different perspective might be helpful.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsr25.pdf  Regulation12

In an “industrial” situation, I would expect to find a robust lockable isolating switch. Your use of the term “Plant Room” suggests to me that this is something or reasonable scale perhaps even 3 phase?  If the only secure point of isolation is upstream of other equipment, then you may introduce a conflict of priorities between users of that equipment and anyone wishing to work on your heat pump.  It may simply be the case that placing a separate Isolator for the heat pump is just “best-practice” to minimise the risks of an unsafe act, such an insecure isolation, or worse still a temptation to work live rather than interrupt the supply to others. Many electrical accidents have occurred over the years by issues related to isolation, so unless the cost of an Isolator is a significant proportion of the budget, or the practicalities of installation very difficult, sticking with what you are doing seems best.        

• Paul posted as I was writing and is clearly expert. However, I thought that these comments from a slightly different perspective might be helpful.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsr25.pdf  Regulation12

In an “industrial” situation, I would expect to find a robust lockable isolating switch. Your use of the term “Plant Room” suggests to me that this is something or reasonable scale perhaps even 3 phase?  If the only secure point of isolation is upstream of other equipment, then you may introduce a conflict of priorities between users of that equipment and anyone wishing to work on your heat pump.  It may simply be the case that placing a separate Isolator for the heat pump is just “best-practice” to minimise the risks of an unsafe act, such an insecure isolation, or worse still a temptation to work live rather than interrupt the supply to others. Many electrical accidents have occurred over the years by issues related to isolation, so unless the cost of an Isolator is a significant proportion of the budget, or the practicalities of installation very difficult, sticking with what you are doing seems best.        

Children
No Data