This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Any tips for a mature student?

For a few years now I have been thinking about doing a degree in Biomedical Engineering. I already work in the field, but my lack of degree is making it harder to move onwards and upwards in my career. My employer is a small company and can’t (i.e. won't) help with financing so I would have to fund this myself, making it a huge investment.

Do you have any tips for a mature (ish) student about to take this big step?

No Degree - Dublin

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents

• Andy Millar:

...what often, in fact very often, happens after that is not that the degree on your CV gets you a better job, but that the attitude you've shown plus the commitment you've shown in getting a degree gets you a better job.

...so many people have degrees these days, having one does often become a necessity to get past the HR CV "checklist". But Roy's covered all sides of that very well already, including the fact that it definitely doesn't make having a degree a "magic bullet".

I fully support Roy's and (both) Andy's posts. However to amplify on a couple of things that Andy said in his latest post, and to come back to the original post, if the lack of degree is what is preventing your CV being considered for any moves, then yes it will help, but you need to be certain that this is the reason. Most recruiters will be honest and let you know if there were other reasons (in addition to lack of degree) that would lead to rejection, so talk to them. It may even have the benefit that they will reconsider their decision, but I wouldn't bank on that.

Alasdair

• Andy Millar:

...what often, in fact very often, happens after that is not that the degree on your CV gets you a better job, but that the attitude you've shown plus the commitment you've shown in getting a degree gets you a better job.

...so many people have degrees these days, having one does often become a necessity to get past the HR CV "checklist". But Roy's covered all sides of that very well already, including the fact that it definitely doesn't make having a degree a "magic bullet".

I fully support Roy's and (both) Andy's posts. However to amplify on a couple of things that Andy said in his latest post, and to come back to the original post, if the lack of degree is what is preventing your CV being considered for any moves, then yes it will help, but you need to be certain that this is the reason. Most recruiters will be honest and let you know if there were other reasons (in addition to lack of degree) that would lead to rejection, so talk to them. It may even have the benefit that they will reconsider their decision, but I wouldn't bank on that.

Alasdair

Children
No Data