This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Any tips for a mature student?

For a few years now I have been thinking about doing a degree in Biomedical Engineering. I already work in the field, but my lack of degree is making it harder to move onwards and upwards in my career. My employer is a small company and can’t (i.e. won't) help with financing so I would have to fund this myself, making it a huge investment.

Do you have any tips for a mature (ish) student about to take this big step?

No Degree - Dublin

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • A small but practical point that I'm sure is mentioned elsewhere on these forums is about maths content.  When I worked within the professional development team a lot of people recommended the Engineering Maths book by K.A Stroud - it's used in a lot of courses, so if people were thinking about studying then they would recommend this book as a starter for ten.  It'll give you an understanding of the sort of things that are required, and you'll probably also be able to tick off a few of the things from your existing experience that you may understand.

From a personal perspective, having studied degree level the traditional way (straight out of school) and also in work (part-time courses) I found that I could use a lot of transferable skills from the workplace to put into my studies, as Roy has already mentioned.

Good luck with it, and others have said, don't give up because you never stop learning smiley
  • A small but practical point that I'm sure is mentioned elsewhere on these forums is about maths content.  When I worked within the professional development team a lot of people recommended the Engineering Maths book by K.A Stroud - it's used in a lot of courses, so if people were thinking about studying then they would recommend this book as a starter for ten.  It'll give you an understanding of the sort of things that are required, and you'll probably also be able to tick off a few of the things from your existing experience that you may understand.

From a personal perspective, having studied degree level the traditional way (straight out of school) and also in work (part-time courses) I found that I could use a lot of transferable skills from the workplace to put into my studies, as Roy has already mentioned.

Good luck with it, and others have said, don't give up because you never stop learning smiley
Children
No Data