This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

It could be curtains for sour milk with bottle-cap ‘sniffing’ sensor

Reading an article on E&T's website about the development of sensors to tell you whether or not your milk has gone bad (without having to endure the awful smell of a manual nose test) by changing the colour of the plastic cap!

What a wonderful idea! I think this should be applied to all forms of food so a sticker or a patch on the food label changes colour to let you know if it's gone bad or not! Obviously for fresh items a quick inspection will tell you if they've gone rotten but what about tinned or bottled produce when you only know what state the contents are in once you've opened it...

Schrodinger's beans perhaps? ?
Parents
  • I've noticed that the bottle top gets 'ripe' long before the milk itself is spoiled, although I guess it is an early indication that things are going west. Do we need more non-disposable plastics, circuitry, batteries etc. just to satisfy what our nose alone will tell us? Looks like a solution in search of a problem. Isn't it time we had an intelligent toaster instead, a task for which electronics and sensors could actually be useful?
  • I've noticed that the bottle top gets 'ripe' long before the milk itself is spoiled, although I guess it is an early indication that things are going west. Do we need more non-disposable plastics, circuitry, batteries etc. just to satisfy what our nose alone will tell us? Looks like a solution in search of a problem. Isn't it time we had an intelligent toaster instead, a task for which electronics and sensors could actually be useful?
Children
No Data