This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: How can I be taken more seriously?

I’m a female engineer (one of the 9%!) and I’ve just started working in industry for the first time after getting my PhD.

Most of the people I work with are really nice, but there are couple of the more senior managers (both men) who constantly talk down to me, talk over me in meetings and generally dismiss my contributions and don’t take me seriously.

I don’t want to complain to HR or anything – I don’t want to be seen as weak or a problem as I’ve heard some horror stories from other female engineers.

Do you have any advice for me about how I can handle these managers?

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    A former colleague of mine found insisting that they use her correct title of Doctor helped. Especially in meetings where she was always expected to take minutes. That said my assumption on graduates of whatever gender is that they have very little knowledge coming straight out of Uni unless they'd spent significant time out in industry. The qualification only indicates the level that the person is capable of learning.

As Nancy said below, and this again is irrespective of gender:

Speak up... that includes asking questions!

Do your homework.

And develop your knowledge of the practical side. I've known (male) graduates with PhD's who quite literally didn't know which end of a screw driver to hold. So make sure that's not how you're perceived.

Very good luck there are plenty of seniors and companies that do support women engineers. hopefully you can find one who will encour

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    A former colleague of mine found insisting that they use her correct title of Doctor helped. Especially in meetings where she was always expected to take minutes. That said my assumption on graduates of whatever gender is that they have very little knowledge coming straight out of Uni unless they'd spent significant time out in industry. The qualification only indicates the level that the person is capable of learning.

As Nancy said below, and this again is irrespective of gender:

Speak up... that includes asking questions!

Do your homework.

And develop your knowledge of the practical side. I've known (male) graduates with PhD's who quite literally didn't know which end of a screw driver to hold. So make sure that's not how you're perceived.

Very good luck there are plenty of seniors and companies that do support women engineers. hopefully you can find one who will encour

Children
No Data