This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: How can I be taken more seriously?

I’m a female engineer (one of the 9%!) and I’ve just started working in industry for the first time after getting my PhD.

Most of the people I work with are really nice, but there are couple of the more senior managers (both men) who constantly talk down to me, talk over me in meetings and generally dismiss my contributions and don’t take me seriously.

I don’t want to complain to HR or anything – I don’t want to be seen as weak or a problem as I’ve heard some horror stories from other female engineers.

Do you have any advice for me about how I can handle these managers?

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi, 

I agree with the supportive answers you have received already and will try to add what little l I can to help you get where you need to be with this 'dark ages' issue, by giving you a few principles to consider:

You are the future. The company has invested in you and to lose you because of anachronistic attitudes is a disgrace to the company. Never take your eye off why you chose to work for the company.

No one in the room is any better than you.  As a black belt Chief Instructor, we bring our most junior belts closest to the front of the class, so that we can support them the most.

Understand yourself and your own power base: is it knowledge based, relationship based or position based? Make use of it,

It the responsibility of senior management and leaders to develop the talent within their organisations in line with developing social and corporate attitudes. Or, their organisations will falter and die.  Because, just like the dinosaurs, they failed to adapt quickly enough.

Understand your company's mission and values - these are your reference standards.

ALWAYS prepare for meetings powerfully and thoroughly.

Learn to tell the top notes of a story, the story itself and the story beneath the story. That way you cannot be caught out.

Take soundings about who are your allies and connect with them before meetings. It only takes one other person to support you in a meeting to start to change the direction of a decision or outcome.

Whoever is asking the questions is controlling the conversation.....use it to your advantage! On of my personal aphorisms is: The question is more important than the answer. But, the only answer that matters is the one that kills the question. Both will generate respect for you.

Find out who sets the agenda and ask to raise a particular subject for you to present (with a couple of people ready to support you in the meeting) and follow all of the steps above!

Good luck and let us know what happens

Anwar 

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi, 

I agree with the supportive answers you have received already and will try to add what little l I can to help you get where you need to be with this 'dark ages' issue, by giving you a few principles to consider:

You are the future. The company has invested in you and to lose you because of anachronistic attitudes is a disgrace to the company. Never take your eye off why you chose to work for the company.

No one in the room is any better than you.  As a black belt Chief Instructor, we bring our most junior belts closest to the front of the class, so that we can support them the most.

Understand yourself and your own power base: is it knowledge based, relationship based or position based? Make use of it,

It the responsibility of senior management and leaders to develop the talent within their organisations in line with developing social and corporate attitudes. Or, their organisations will falter and die.  Because, just like the dinosaurs, they failed to adapt quickly enough.

Understand your company's mission and values - these are your reference standards.

ALWAYS prepare for meetings powerfully and thoroughly.

Learn to tell the top notes of a story, the story itself and the story beneath the story. That way you cannot be caught out.

Take soundings about who are your allies and connect with them before meetings. It only takes one other person to support you in a meeting to start to change the direction of a decision or outcome.

Whoever is asking the questions is controlling the conversation.....use it to your advantage! On of my personal aphorisms is: The question is more important than the answer. But, the only answer that matters is the one that kills the question. Both will generate respect for you.

Find out who sets the agenda and ask to raise a particular subject for you to present (with a couple of people ready to support you in the meeting) and follow all of the steps above!

Good luck and let us know what happens

Anwar 

Children
No Data