This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: How can I be taken more seriously?

I’m a female engineer (one of the 9%!) and I’ve just started working in industry for the first time after getting my PhD.

Most of the people I work with are really nice, but there are couple of the more senior managers (both men) who constantly talk down to me, talk over me in meetings and generally dismiss my contributions and don’t take me seriously.

I don’t want to complain to HR or anything – I don’t want to be seen as weak or a problem as I’ve heard some horror stories from other female engineers.

Do you have any advice for me about how I can handle these managers?

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    You will always find a mix of characters wherever you work and this issue is not unique to female staff. Whenever you are new in a work place, after the honeymoon period has come to an end you will be expected to prove yourself to those around you. They will be looking for someone who fits in with the team and adds value to what they are doing. This can be difficult when you have very little industrial experience. I would latch on to a mentor who can guide you and use the quality of your work to demonstrate your worth. Unfortunately your qualifications only grant you access to this arena, they do not confer much else early on in your career and in some instances they are actually a hindrance.

That said, as has been mentioned before, I would keep a log of incidents just in case it all gets out of hand and you need to speak to HR. In many companies this is a last resort as no good often comes of involving them in such cases, you may be better off finding somewhere else that values your talents.

For me, self satisfaction, low grief and good pay are the cornerstones of a good job, probably in that order. If you are satisfied with you performance and you get a sense of achievement from it then you are probably in good shape. It doesn't hurt to blow your own trumpet from time to time to the right people to remind them of the excellent work that you have done.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    You will always find a mix of characters wherever you work and this issue is not unique to female staff. Whenever you are new in a work place, after the honeymoon period has come to an end you will be expected to prove yourself to those around you. They will be looking for someone who fits in with the team and adds value to what they are doing. This can be difficult when you have very little industrial experience. I would latch on to a mentor who can guide you and use the quality of your work to demonstrate your worth. Unfortunately your qualifications only grant you access to this arena, they do not confer much else early on in your career and in some instances they are actually a hindrance.

That said, as has been mentioned before, I would keep a log of incidents just in case it all gets out of hand and you need to speak to HR. In many companies this is a last resort as no good often comes of involving them in such cases, you may be better off finding somewhere else that values your talents.

For me, self satisfaction, low grief and good pay are the cornerstones of a good job, probably in that order. If you are satisfied with you performance and you get a sense of achievement from it then you are probably in good shape. It doesn't hurt to blow your own trumpet from time to time to the right people to remind them of the excellent work that you have done.

Children
No Data