This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Jobs for over 50s

Hi All,

Arrived at work today for the first day of the new year to find that I and eveyone else have lost their jobs. This despite record profits last year. It's a long and involved story.

I am 56. So please, ANY advice welcomed on job-seeking. I'm an Electronc Engineer and have also the parallel roles of Quality Manager and Production Manager. Quite happy to work "hands on".

My software experience is 13+ years out of date due to my employer having a great divide between hardware and software.

John/
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Having just lost a job (October) and aged 62 I can somewhat empathise, but here's my best advice. Send all the usual agencies your C.V. and make sure you align your C.V. to the roles that you're sent.

Update LinkedIn. I was contacted by one of my connections telling me about an opening, which is now my new role within about 3 weeks of being given my notice.

Consider going contract. Again this is a route that I chose but may not be right for you.

Go to the interviews, even if it's to find out it's not the job for you, it's good practice.

Dig out all your qualifications, you'll need to show them along with evidence of your right to work.

Good luck

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Having just lost a job (October) and aged 62 I can somewhat empathise, but here's my best advice. Send all the usual agencies your C.V. and make sure you align your C.V. to the roles that you're sent.

Update LinkedIn. I was contacted by one of my connections telling me about an opening, which is now my new role within about 3 weeks of being given my notice.

Consider going contract. Again this is a route that I chose but may not be right for you.

Go to the interviews, even if it's to find out it's not the job for you, it's good practice.

Dig out all your qualifications, you'll need to show them along with evidence of your right to work.

Good luck

Children
No Data