This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Jobs for over 50s

Hi All,

Arrived at work today for the first day of the new year to find that I and eveyone else have lost their jobs. This despite record profits last year. It's a long and involved story.

I am 56. So please, ANY advice welcomed on job-seeking. I'm an Electronc Engineer and have also the parallel roles of Quality Manager and Production Manager. Quite happy to work "hands on".

My software experience is 13+ years out of date due to my employer having a great divide between hardware and software.

John/
Parents
  • And another thought (better get back to work after this)...take free online courses while you have the time. For example, look at Future Learn www.futurelearn.com who have a huge range of business, management and engineering courses (I've no connection with them, I just like their courses, many other suppliers are available). Don't try claiming on your CV or at interview that these have taught you anything, but what they will do is make sure you can use and understand all the right terms, and can confidently say things in the form "Do you find xxx is important in your business?" - and respond sensibly when the response is "Why do you think it might be?" 

Cheers,

Andy
  • And another thought (better get back to work after this)...take free online courses while you have the time. For example, look at Future Learn www.futurelearn.com who have a huge range of business, management and engineering courses (I've no connection with them, I just like their courses, many other suppliers are available). Don't try claiming on your CV or at interview that these have taught you anything, but what they will do is make sure you can use and understand all the right terms, and can confidently say things in the form "Do you find xxx is important in your business?" - and respond sensibly when the response is "Why do you think it might be?" 

Cheers,

Andy
Children
No Data